Official Review: This is not for us by Arushi Singh

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Official Review: This is not for us by Arushi Singh

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "This is not for us" by Arushi Singh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arushi Singh’s poetry collection This is not for us ~ and all the things they tell you covers a wide range of topics, from abuse to love to war to poverty to family ties. The poems address universal, relevant topics, yet the author’s concentration on his own physicality, emotions, and experiences imbue the collection with a deeply personal tone. Poems like “Untitled” offer a meta-commentary on the nature of rhyming. In “Everything I Wanted”, the narrator gives a list of all the things he left unsaid, presumably to a lover, before sinking back into silence. In “#mentoo”, the author gives a heart wrenching description of his childhood abuse, and the hashtag offers a commentary on how men are often silenced in the discussion on rape.

The PDF version that I read was 67 pages long, and it was made up primarily of one page poems. A few longer ones spanned two or three pages. Due to their brevity and poignant one-liners, many of the poems reminded me of the notepad poetry you can find all over Instagram and Pinterest. For example, in “With My Eyes”, the author reflects on the cost of holding on to his dreams: “who knew the price/of dreaming/was losing my hold on reality” (page 26).

Much of Singh’s poetry centers around themes of physicality, suffering, and the body. In “Waltz #2”, he reflects: “dance is the/denial/of the body/the refusal to suffer” (page 16). Even in poems like “Syria”, a poem that paints a vivid picture of a war torn country, the author maintains a focus on his own personal, bodily experience. I enjoyed this element. I tried to find out who the author is and what inspired him (or her, though I believe it is a male) to write this collection. There is no record (or if one, very little) of the poet Arushi Singh online, and nothing whatsoever about the book.

This leads me to my one qualm with this collection. I wished for a bit more context and coherence. Though the poems were enjoyable, I don’t think I would have picked up this book if I was not reviewing it. Even if I did pick it up, I don’t think I would have kept coming back to it. I enjoyed each poem as I read it, but without a larger context to put it in, I felt like I was consuming empty calories. Reading the book was enjoyable, but the poems felt scattered. Because they cover such a wide range of themes, I had a hard time picking one to resonate with.

Still, if poetry is meant to be felt, then this collection certainly does its job. Readers who are looking for a short yet moving collection of modern poems will certainly find this collection enjoyable. There were a few errors. In “Strand” on page 15, the word “face” is spelled “fac”. In “Quote” on page 20, there’s a phrase that reads “springs soft dust” when the word “spring” should have an apostrophe. Aside from that, I noticed few errors, and the ones that did exist were not (in my mind) glaring enough to detract from my enjoyment of the work.

Because I believe the personal nature of these poems will endear them to readers, I am giving This is not for us 4 out of 4 stars. Lovers of poetry will certainly appreciate Arushi Singh's unique musings on the nature of the world.

This is not for us
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Ivy Davie
Currently Reading: Primeval Origins
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ivy Davie »

Very moving. Enjoyable. Interesting
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

As a lover of poetry, I'm impressed with your review. I like that it spans a range of topics while maintaining the author's voice and identity.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry seems to be so individual. It's harder to hear those than regular books if you ask me. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yazan saadeddin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yazan saadeddin »

Love it .
thebookextravaganza
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 474

Post by thebookextravaganza »

Thank you for such extensive and informative review. The topics that the author covers are definitely interesting and I can see myself diving into the book, I am drawn to male perspective on violence and abuse since it often gets buried in the sheer vastness of the female experience of it. Which makes me wonder about the author as well. It's such a pity there isn't much information about them, however let's hope that it won't be for long till they establish themselves as a seasoned name and come out with a next piece of work. Once again, great review :)
Adedola
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adedola »

Thank you for the informative review. The topics that the author covers are definitely interesting and I can see myself reading the book, I'm interested in finding out the author's thoughts about the male perspective on violence and abuse since it often gets overlooked in the sheer vastness of the female experience of it.
Hastier777
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Hastier777 »

i love it!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Might have to pass on this one. I like poetry but when it starts being compared to the stuff on Pinterest I start losing interest. Also, just to be nitpicky, unless you are British (and if you are, please ignore), the comma goes inside the quotation mark, always. Good review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Thank you for your review. As someone who loves poetry, I like it when it covers a range of topics rather than restricted to one topic only. Another poetry book to add to my to-be-read list.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
izhay

Post by izhay »

very interesting . .so much fun to read this very relating
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the heart-felt poetry and the compelling way the author drives his point home. The range of the poems covering a wide topic is also laudable.
Noella Kimbi

Post by Noella Kimbi »

thank you for this review. it helps me out with a review i'm working on. i love your choise of words and sentence construction. you really do sound like you know exactly what you are doing. just reading the review, i feel like reading the book already.
Thanks again.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”