Official Review: Broken Crayons Still Color

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Broken Crayons Still Color

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Crayons Still Color" by Sandra Charite.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“These crayons were big and small. And, although they were broken, they still had the ability to color and produce beautiful drawings.” – Sandra Jean Chartie, Broken Crayons Still Color
Do you remember all the broken crayons that you had in your crayon box? They were all once brand new, full-length crayons that stood firm in your hands. Later, when a little pressure was applied, they completely broke. Some of them broke in half and others just completely fell apart. Even though it would’ve been easier to just throw them out and get new ones, most of us just kept them. The reason is that no matter how broken the crayons became, they still functioned and could create amazing things. People are just like broken crayons. Even though we break down with a little pressure, we still have great worth and amazing abilities. In Sandra Jean Chartie’s God’s Unique Speaks: Broken Crayons Still Color, she takes readers on a journey through spiritual restoration.

In the book, the author takes readers on her own journey of restoration. The book is broken into four parts; “Brokenness,” “Words have Power,” “The Season of Shall” and “Healer of Broken Beginnings.” In the first part, the author defines, “brokenness” and tells of all the things that broke her such as her friend’s death and her relationship with her father. The second part addresses the power of one’s words and how your words and the words of others can have an impact on you.

“The Season of Shall,” is one that radiates positivity, hope and the belief that God will give you the strength to fix yourself up again. The final chapter is the chapter of healing. The author tells of how God healed her and offers scriptures and passages from the Bible that demonstrates the healing process as the final step on the road to restoration. The author fills these four sections with personal narratives and poems that complements the overall message about how God can fix all the broken things in our lives.

There were many things that I enjoyed about this book. The book had such a strong message that speaks to many kinds of people. It speaks to the people who are broken in love, family, career, self and overall life. The author places passages in the Bible that shows Biblical figures such as Job, who lost everything, but was restored to an even better condition thanks to his faith and loyalty to God. These passages serve as spiritual and educational material for readers to connect and grow from.

The poems in the book were powerful and raw. They address many subjects such as virginity, promiscuity, hypocrites and much more. They were written in a rhyming manner, but readers will be too enthralled by the directness and truth that is held in each poem to pay attention to much else. Along with the narratives, the poems educate readers and serve to help them along their way to restoration.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The only negative that I can name is that there were a few grammatical errors. The book needs to be edited a bit more. Besides that, the book was an inspirational read and I truly enjoyed it. The author brilliantly sets up the book into four parts that can be seen as the four steps to restoration. With each step, lessons are learned and broken parts begin to be fixed. I recommend this book, not only to a Christian audience but to anyone who feels broken and useless and needs a book that uplift and empower them.

Broken Crayons Still Color
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Moors
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Moors »

A great book enjoyed reading
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Moors wrote:A great book enjoyed reading
Thank you for reading! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to say, I love the title. That's very creative and something I wouldn't have thought of. If that's any indication of the book, then I should definitely look at it. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I have to say, I love the title. That's very creative and something I wouldn't have thought of. If that's any indication of the book, then I should definitely look at it. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you for reading! :D

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Interesting book. I'm not sure it's for me, but your review definitely made it sound enticing. Might get it.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

We are like crayons! What a beatiful illustration! The book sounds powerfully healing for broken souls. Thanks for the wonderful review, Amagine!
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I think Sandra Charite's Broken Crayons Still Color is absolutely significant because of its didactic contents. This is my kind of book, really looking forward to reading it. Good job, Amagine, on the review.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading,everyone! ????

MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a beautiful book! It may end up on my "gifts for others" list.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

CatInTheHat wrote:This sounds like a beautiful book! It may end up on my "gifts for others" list.
It would make a wonderful gift ?!

Thanks for reading! ?

Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Though I am not a Christian but any book that brings about positivity and personal healing is worth reading. I definitely love the title. It's a given and attractive name that definitely draws you in. Great review Amagine. You never cease to amaze.
Kay168
Currently Reading: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Kay168 »

I am a broken crayon myself but guess what, I make rainbows..beautiful rainbows.. Thank you for your carefully thought-out review.. It just brings me comfort before I even read the book, that I will most certainly enjoy it.

This is definitely going into my shelf :)
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading! ??

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

There are a lot of people out there "broken in love, family, career, self and overall life..." Good review and great book.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”