Western Song By Leigh Podgorski

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Western Song By Leigh Podgorski

Post by Birdlady1950 »

STORY-LINE WESTERN SONG BY LEIGH PODGORSKI:

In Western Song, Weston Beaudurant's friend and employee, Cody, seemed a simple man; a rodeo clown with simple needs. However, after his death, Weston finds there's more to Cody than he imagined. Wynona Vasquez, friend and attorney, meets with Weston, his sister Olive, and her husband, Jeb, after the funeral. They are in for a big surprise. Cody has a mail order bride from Thailand coming in on the evening train. No one knew Cody was thinking of marrying nor that he had saved a large amount of money. Weston finds himself meeting Cody's fiancée, Song Phan-Rang at the train station.

A sadder sight no one has ever seen. Water logged and dripping, Song stands waiting for a fiancé who will never show. Weston will find a very determined woman in Song's small body. Determined to live in Cody's small cold cabin, she will not take no for an answer. For Song came to America for freedom from cages which surrounded her in Thailand; wanting more from life than Thailand would allow. So begins the journey of Song and Weston as they forge ahead with life. Song wants freedom, Weston wants to run his ranch and bull ride; but fate has much in store for these two. As well as, a small town in turmoil and controversy.

One an American by birth, the other wants to be an American by choice. Will fate bring together two very different people from diverse backgrounds? An epic drama of conflicts, prejudices, and love. My contemporary romance book review of Western Song follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:

First let me say, my poor skills as a writer and reviewer will not do this heart grabbing, powerful epic, justice. From the first pages I immediately knew this book would tear out my heart. At times so sad I cried, others so frustrated with Weston I wanted to scream, I couldn't put this book down. Leigh Podgorski created a fast paced tale with many levels and layers, which leaves the reader awed and begging for more.

Filled with yearnings for freedom from prejudice, poverty, and oppression, along with an epic love story, Leigh Podgorski grabs the reader and does not let go. Then add in the guilt Weston carries, the unsung love of another, the drama of the controversy taking over this small town, and the fight to survive, gives you have a story the reader will not quickly forget.

Set in the beautiful state of Wyoming with the back drop of Thailand, Podgorski's writing is vivid, descriptive, and feels authentic to the West and East. I could see the beautiful country side, the steams, rushing rivers, rodeo cowboys, and diverse people. Podgorski's vivid writing of Song's life in Thailand brought tears to my eyes and sorrow to my soul. How glad I am America is my native country; where freedom is free for all to make their own choices and decisions.

So many people with their own agendas, prejudices, misconceptions, and problems, form a powerful story filled with drama, action, and humanity. With secondary characters which added depth to the story line, Leigh Podgorski's characters are believable and realistic. Podgorski's characterization of the West and the people who thrive there, made me yearn for wide open spaces and the twang of the western language. I wanted to interact with the people; who are fighting themselves, each other, and nature to carve out life to the fullest.

With characters having many layers and well-developed, I felt I knew each one personally. I became involved in their lives, rooting and booing as called for in the story-line. With many plot threads to bring together, Podgoski skillfully wove each one into a highly satisfying powerful novel.

Weston's a cowboy, bull rider, and rancher; hardy, tough, level headed, emotionally closed off, and yes, he's needy. He doesn't even realize what he needs until it was almost too late. Raised in an environment where under-laying emotions were ignored, Leigh Podgorski matured and developed Weston throughout the story-line. Song, a gentle spirit, searching for freedom from cages enforced from early childhood, will gladden your heart. Yes, Song's gentle, yet, with a strong backbone and determination. Podgorski developed her personality and understanding of freedom gradually; Song realizes what she thought a cage, is not. Watching her grow wings and fly as she becomes "the more" she wanted, is awesome.

Leigh Podgorsk, with writing which is clear, easy to follow, and with vivid descriptions, turned a standard book into an outstanding novel. Her prose, structure, development, fast pacing, and multi-layered plotting, I gave top marks. Furthermore, Podgorksi created a clean book without the use of sex or fluff to fill the pages; however, still contains intense emotional drama between her characters. Western Song deserves several readings and I plan to reread it again and again. I would not hesitate to buy this book for myself or a friend.

WESTERN SONG RECOMMENDATION: Stars 4

STARS 5 on my blog and 4 here as this is the highest Online Book Club awards. Western Song's my featured book for September 2017.

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I borrowed this book from --------- and received this book from the author. I chose to voluntarily review the book with honest contemporary romance book reviews. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, no one influences my voluntary contemporary romance book reviews.
missreadalot
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92041">Can I Be Frank?</a>
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missreadalot.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by missreadalot »

You definitely can write an interesting and well thought out review. I'll be placing this book on my "want to read" shelf.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”