Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Drama and Poetry Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.

Official Review: Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz

Post Number:#1 by stoppoppingtheP
» 05 Sep 2017, 12:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Schizophrenic Delight" by Earl Schultz.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by stoppoppingtheP
Share This Review

Physical illnesses are relatively easy to discern and compare, and they are also more acceptable in society. On the other hand, a mental illness is something that an individual usually goes through on their own. This is because one cannot compare and contrast their own mental pain with others, as this is an unseen illness. Thus, many people think that the person suffering is merely making it up in order to garner attention.

Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz is a compilation of poems that details some of the experiences and emotions that the author goes through as a result of his illness. This book falls under the poetry and drama genre, with a total of 90 poems altogether.

According to WebMD, Schizophrenia is ‘a brain disorder that distorts the way a person thinks, acts, expresses emotions, perceives reality, and relates to others. In addition, Schizoaffective disorder, which the author suffers from, includes ‘both schizophrenia and a mood disorder’.

The book, Schizophrenic Delight, is an insight into the author's mind. The poems detail how he sees the world. It details his fears and longings. Many of the poems have meanings that are deep and show the difficulty that the poet goes through in life.The themes of the poems are based on the feelings and trials that the author goes through as a result of having a schizophrenic disorder. These range from feelings of being trapped, loneliness, depression, and frustration.

The poems are free verse and of different length, some are a few lines long, while others go on for a few pages. The poems are not named, rather they are just numbered. A lot of the poems are addressed to somebody. As if the poet is speaking directly to a person - a lover, himself, and even at times, the reader themselves.

Some of my favorite lines from several of the different poems are as follows:
- “The blinds on the wall might as well be prison bars
and the tie is a chain wrapped around my neck”
- “rain drops are falling on me all of the time
when I cry inside my mind”
- “There is a time
when I cry
and a time
when I laugh
and a time
when I feel nothing at all”

The reason I first chose to read this book was that I wanted to understand what a schizophrenic goes through or at least gain a bit more insight into this illness. I think that my goal was definitely achieved. I enjoyed this book immensely. What I liked most about this book is that when reading the poems, the reader is able to get a sense of the feelings that the poet goes through. These poems translate the poet’s feelings of confusion, depression, and loneliness adequately. This is why I am rating this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I think that more effort, on the whole, needs to be made to understand mental illness and that it should not be treated as something taboo, or something non-existent, simply because it is not visible. This is one of those books that can bring this important issue to light. I would recommend this book to all those who enjoy poetry as well as those who would like to understand the pain and feelings that a person suffering from mental illness goes through.

Schizophrenic Delight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“where
you are.
is not
who
you are.

-circumstances”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stoppoppingtheP's Latest Review: "Schizophrenic Delight" by Earl Schultz
stoppoppingtheP
Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 132 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz

Post Number:#2 by Miriam Molina
» 06 Sep 2017, 23:51

Hi, StoppoppingtheP! I totally agree with you. I have personal experience with someone who has schizoaffective disorder. I admire the author for his ability to write meaningful poetry. One symptom of the disease is poverty of thought; I am glad he doesn't exhibit that and can still turn out creative work.

Thank you for this enlightening review!
Miriam Molina

Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 439 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 105%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 07 Sep 2017, 07:19

Wow! This sounds like quite the book. I think it's hard for anyone to really understand what someone with a mental illness goes through without having experienced it. Poetry is a good way to at least get a glimpse of their life. Thanks for the great review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#4 by geoffrey ngoima
» 07 Sep 2017, 08:05

Before anything else I'd like to think I'm a poet. And this book sounds like it has a wealth of raw and poetry not much explored. It's definitely going on my bookshelf.
Thank you for the wonderful review
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#5 by RegularGuy3
» 07 Sep 2017, 16:23

Very interesting. I've always found mental illness to be a fascinating topic, and this is a slightly different way to explore it. Thanks for the review!
RegularGuy3

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by CatInTheHat
» 08 Sep 2017, 09:03

Mental illness is often hard for people to understand when they haven't experienced it. It does sound like this book of poetry helps people to understand, hopefully eliciting empathy for others in the future.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Poet's Trap" by Sylvie Gallimore
CatInTheHat
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: The Governor's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 412 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 76%

Post Number:#7 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 09 Sep 2017, 09:07

I need to read this book. Books which help readers to understand what others are going through are always helpful. I value compassion and I feel I am better able to be compassionate when I have a better understanding of what a person is feeling. Thank you for your review. :)
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 110%

Post Number:#8 by Sysybombaya
» 10 Sep 2017, 04:26

Your review gives me more knowledge about the story.
Sysybombaya's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Sysybombaya

Currently Reading: Cocktails and Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#9 by Kinnera
» 18 Sep 2017, 07:40

Those lines from the poems in your review sound wonderful. Thanks for your review!
Kinnera

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by Nthabeleng
» 22 Sep 2017, 15:34

Your review woke up something in me, I'm going to read this book. Thank you.
Nthabeleng

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 33%