Official Review: Walking on a Moonbeam by Bill McDonald

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Walking on a Moonbeam by Bill McDonald

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking on a Moonbeam" by Bill McDonald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In addition to being a very poetic phrase, Walking on a Moonbeam is a very fitting title for a collection of poetry by an engineer who worked on the moon program - the program that first landed man on the moon. Bill McDonald's poetry is broken into nine distinct categories - Youth, Adventure, Love, Seasons, Change, Hope, Places And Things, Farewells and Prayer.

While I initially picked up this book for the insights of an engineer with nearly 50 years experience in "America's space and national defense programs", I was surprised at how great his outlooks at regular life were as well. Even the brightest minds who can safely send mankind and spacecraft into outer space are human beings, and Bill takes us on mini-looks at his life in these 21 poems. Along with the poems, Bill includes numerous quotes from Shakespeare, Saint Augustus, Aristotle, the Bible, C. S. Lewis and other various famous authors and philosophers at the beginning of each section. These are particularly excellent and the majority of them were new to me, but all of them fit well with the section they were used in. There are also various black and white photos throughout - some of the author, some of those he knew and loved and others of varying sights and views. Like the quotes, these are very fitting with their respective poems or sections.

While only a few of the poems stood out to me as exceptional, there also wasn't a single poem I didn't like. Every one of the 20+ poems was enjoyable, and I liked that the topics were so varied throughout. Bill also did a great job bringing me into each moment - "Life on the Creek" masterfully captured childhood before technology and all four poems focused on the seasons (one for each season) not only captured living in that season but also the shifting feelings, views and temperatures from one to the next. I felt worried alongside him with "Don't Leave Me Alone", a poem that captures Bill's concern at an ill wife while he's away from her and "Farewell my Brother" is akin to the bottled-up essence of not wanting to let go of coworkers who have become like family over such a long period of time together. The titular poem, "Walking on a Moonbeam" not only embodies the childlike wonderment of what secrets the moon holds, it's remarkably poetic and it's also especially fitting for someone who ended up helping land mankind on the moon. Finally, "The Greatest Adventure", the longest poem in the book, does an amazing job of capturing how the engineers (like him) felt when man successfully landed and walked on the moon. It's easy to forget what an amazing accomplishment that truly was!

There are other poems of course, and like I said I ended up enjoying them all. Bill uses either an ABAB or AABB rhyme scheme throughout, and while syllable counts rarely match up they're often similar or so different that it's clearly done on purpose. Bill does sometimes break these rhyming rules, instead repeating a line ("Which way, Dad?" in the poem "Which Way Dad?") or merely using free-verse for a bit. His two poems in the Prayer section - "The Blessing" and "My Daily Prayer" - are perhaps the biggest breath of fresh air as they feel the most natural; if you were to read these two poems aloud in a paragraph instead of in their original poem forms you may not even realize they rhyme since they flow so naturally! It made me wish these were somewhere in the middle to mix things up instead of at the end.

I really appreciated that Bill included a really solid introduction. Not only did he give some information about his own past, he gave insight into the backstories and inspirations behind every single one of his poems in the collection. These made it far easier to relate to what was going on in the moment and connect with what was being said. Between this incredible introduction, the photos and the quotes it was remarkably easy to follow the journey Bill laid out in his poetry.

Between the solid collection of consistently good poetry, the introduction, the photos and the quotes it's incredibly easy to give this collection 4 out of 4 stars. Bill wrote at the end that perhaps he'll write more poetry now that he's retired and perhaps he won't; I, for one, definitely hope Bill's retirement allows for some good writing time. For those who enjoy poetry, especially poetry that's less vague and more straightforward, give this collection a shot! Those who prefer deeper, multi-layered heavy poetry may be a bit let down by most of the poems here, but for those like me who enjoy both, it's still excellent.

Walking on a Moonbeam
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
sameer5279
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sameer5279 »

The book is based on the reality of the space program that actualy took Place...i love his idea on poetry....infact bill MacDonald should continue writting poems
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I wonder what were the moods of these poems especially since they are based on his working life? Other than that, thanks for a great review.
sameer5279

Post by sameer5279 »

I am also curious..on the poetic curvature...and the total mastering of the poems...actually a poem with no internal glow...is no poem...
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Being a selenophile I simply couldn't pass by this cover and I wasn't disappointed with the story behind it either. The real experience on the Moon in poetry, what could be more romantic and fascinating? Thanks for the review!
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

Am used to narrative type tales on technology but poems, never crossed my mind. Such a detailed review albeit.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Poetry and technology infused. Surely a book to read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was expecting something else when I opened this review; although, I'm not sure what. My hubby would absolutely love this collection of poems, both on the professional and personal level.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Poems, when expressed with the author's point of view do make a greater impact. This sounds fascinating, and thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

Walking on a Moonbeam is a very fitting title for a collection of poetry by an engineer who worked on the moon program... Awesome
Bright Francis

Post by Bright Francis »

Interesting
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for that fascinating review. I have added this to my books to read collection. I think I shall enjoy the poetry and the quotes from some of my favorites including C S Lewis.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

It's so interesting that the author has such a unique perspective after working for the moon landing as an engineer. You don't really hear much poetry from engineers, it seems, and it sounds like he really delves into deep and personal observations from his life. I think I'd enjoy it.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

It's a beautiful title and cover for this collection of poetry. Knowing that it also contains quotations from some favorites of mine is a bonus. The fact that he shares some parts of his life and the inspiration for the poems should make this very enjoyable reading. Great job on the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”