Official Review: Poetic Ramblings of a Disenchanted Soul.

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Poetic Ramblings of a Disenchanted Soul.

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetic Ramblings of a Disenchanted Soul." by Danny Warren..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetic Ramblings of a Disenchanted Soul by Danny Warren is a collection of poetry loosely linked by the theme of disenchantment. Many of the poems are loaded with dark imagery, referencing death (or eternal sleep), the afterlife, aging, the passage of time, lost love, longing, and regret. There are also poems on lighter topics interspersed throughout the collection, including poems about dreams, the concept of love, and the search for meaning in the mundane everyday moments. Some of the poetry references memorable world events, such as 9/11, and other poems include commentary on politics, elections, and social issues. A handful of the poems also document the author’s struggle with his faith, exploring the concepts of original sin, freedom of choice, and the promise of eternity.

One of the author’s strengths in assembling this collection was in providing the reader with a good range of different styles of poetry. The collection includes poems that vary in length, some written in a verbose prose style and others written following a handful of different rhyming patterns. Personally, I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the rhyming poems more than the abstract ones in this collection, as that is typically not the case for me. However, I found that the poems written without following a particular rhythm structure were generally very flowery and ornate, and sometimes the sentences became difficult to decipher. Often in those abstract poems, the meaning was lost underneath the descriptive language.

On the other hand, most of the rhyming poems were simple yet cleverly written, and the language did not feel like it was forced into rhyming scheme. Instead, the ideas flowed surprisingly well from one line to another – this remained true even though the author used several different rhyming styles.

I noticed that the font and formatting changed several times throughout the collection and I am not sure if this was intentional or not. In certain poems, one line was written in a different font than the rest – it was not clear to me if this was done for emphasis, or simply was the unintended result of the author adding a line during a round of editing. Similarly, there were a handful of instances where the author used made-up words (like “missingness” and “sharingness”), and it is not clear whether this was done with intention.

Generally this is a strong collection of poetry, written in a myriad of interesting styles, and referencing a wide range of topics. However, as I had a hard time connecting with (or even truly understanding) many of the non-rhyming poems, I can only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed many of the rhyming poems, and was impressed by the clever way certain words and phrases were arranged… I just wish I felt the same kind of interest in the free-form pieces. Readers who would enjoy this collection are those who appreciate poetry in a variety of styles, and are not dissuaded by the general undercurrent of frustration and disenchantment that runs throughout the works. The collection may speak to those who are seeking for a deeper interpretation of everyday life events, and who may identify with one man’s journey in questioning his own reality.

Poetic Ramblings of a Disenchanted Soul.
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! However, I think this is not the book for me as I am less interested in poetry. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I myself am a free-verse poem. It sounds like a book i would love.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

This sounds like a wonderful book. Thak you for this review. It is really helpful.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I do like free verse. I enjoy darker poetry, too, but I'm not sure I would resonate with the theme of disenchantment. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

@bluegreenmarina made-up words are okay, as long as understood in its use. Shakespeare did it. And new words constantly creep into general usage from time to time. That is how dynamic the English language is.
Poetry is my soul. And you will also deepen your affinity to the rhymed poems if you read more of the classics, by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Shelley, Keats, Poe, among the few I could remember. Thanks for the descriptive review. However, poetry could not be enjoyed by just being described, it has to be read, period, comma and all. You really made me want to read the book.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”