Official Review: White Wine & Medical Marijuana

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: White Wine & Medical Marijuana

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Wine & Medical Marijuana" by Julia Cirignano.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Wine and Medical Marijuana by Julia Cirignano is a poetry collection focused on the author’s life experiences, describing those experiences in broad, poetic terms. The collection is written in the free verse style, and poems range from only a few words to a little more than one page long.

The author’s initial preface is telling of the work to come. Though she acknowledges that neither substance mentioned in the title has aided in her creation of ‘great art,’ it is important to note that the title was chosen specifically to attract readers of a similar mind to that of the author. That being said, the collection is most likely to resonate strongly with mature young adults. The themes of the collection span relationships, breakups, alternative mental states, gender norms, and personal growth.

There were quite a few poems in this collection with prose that contained authentic feelings and descriptive experiences that were easily read and clearly relatable. Members of the target audience are sure to recall similar life experiences to those described by the author. Where the author tends to stand out is with her use of meticulous metaphors. Many times I found myself pleasantly surprised by the ease and simplicity of the metaphors used; for example, the poem ‘The Wolf’ describes an eerily familiar and dangerous presence that could easily be interpreted as depression or drug and alcohol use. The use of metaphor, with multiple potential meanings gauged by the reader’s own lens, greatly enhanced many of the poems in this collection.

The collection is imbued with a clear voice. The words and style create a vivid image of what the author is like as a person and the struggles and fears they face daily. Although this was one of the collection’s strengths, it also tended to be its biggest downfall. The themes and wording choices presented through the author’s lens lack a certain maturity and understanding. Some of the poems didn’t work as well because they were blatant about their reference to drugs, depression or relationships and breakups. The blatancy of certain poems tended to give off a bleating tone. Further, the writing was, at times, callow. Many of the topics described in the poetry are no doubt relatable, yet the poetry lacked that experienced, sophisticated eye looking back.

Since there were enjoyable poems in this collection that felt raw and managed to describe certain themes in a unique and intriguing manner, I rate White Wine and Medical Marijuana 3 out of 4 stars. The flatness of some poems and the limited audience prevented a higher rating. I recommend this collection to older teens and young adults interested in relatable poetry. The themes of angst, recreational drug and alcohol use, and finding one’s place in the world may be harder for more mature audiences to relate to.

White Wine & Medical Marijuana
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

wow! Aside the book title which is very much intriguing, the content surely packs more than a handful. Thanks, MariaRose, for the brief but satisfying glimpse into the heart of the poems.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry is really not my forte. Still, it does sound like quite an interesting collection. The title by itself is intriguing. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Interesting themes, as a young adult with a love for poetry, I think I would enjoy this! Thanks for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I have never really been able to enjoy poetry or find it as powerful as prose. The topics discussed in the book seem interesting though. I might check this one out. Thanks
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Kudos! I like the warning you give.

??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I love a great poem, one that i can easily understand and that influences a certain feeling in a reader.Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

This was an insightful review, Marisa Rose! The coherence and quality of the voice is something I look for particularly in poetry collections. It's too bad that a several of the poems fell flat, but this still sounds like a collection I want to check out. Thanks for the review!
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

What an intriguing review. I really wish to read this work.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I love minimalistic poems. Beautiful review. Thank you for this.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html

Post by Ashley Simon »

The exactness of metaphors is one reason I'm drawn to poetry time and again. Poetry can express certain ideas/feelings in a way prose just can't capture. Sounds like this collection was a rewarding read.
Christian okemini
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christian okemini »

The book is good but the writer never considered the readers.you know when you write the readers assume you 86.9 percent,so make them feel spirited while reading.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”