Official Review: Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Official Review: Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems

Post by Kinnera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems" by L. R. Camacho.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems by L. R. Camacho is a set of poems about the stages of love. The poet speaks to the world at large and asks questions about passion and acceptance. The poems convey a degree of melancholy and ponder upon questions about lasting relationships, bringing into focus the timeline of love in the poet’s perspective.

In the beginning, the poems are a touch sad, speaking about not expressing feelings and losing love. As the book progresses, the tone shifts to a happier one, with poems on what love can be. The poet tries to give a modern touch to the poems, and the stanzas are arranged in freestyle. The poet also takes a lot of leeway with the formatting of poems, but the unique style does bring out the poet’s process, lending strength to the writing. The poems are touching and they connected with me, as I expect they will with most readers.

I appreciate the connections made by the poet between consecutive poems. The book reads like a plotted narrative and I could not put the book down until I finished it. The smooth transitions between varied perspectives and themes of individual poems must have been difficult to achieve, and I applaud the poet for achieving it beautifully. The book has a decent pace and there were no major formatting errors that distracted me from the writing.

The summary of this book mentions that the poems focus on LGBT+ relationships. Before I started the book, I did imagine I would read an inspiring set of referenced poems to LGBT+. It was disappointing to find that apart from a few poems with the nameless heroine referring to a woman in the context of love, I did not find any reference to LGBT+, blatant or otherwise.

However, the most disappointing thing about this book was the glaring lack of metaphors. While the poet does a good job of including descriptions within the poems, no allusions are made to external sources of inspiration or reference. I usually look forward to poetry with a certain degree of the poet’s personality depicted by the metaphors chosen to be included in the poems. This aspect was missing and took away from my enjoyment of the book.

Overall, this collection of poems feels well written and edited. I give Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems 3 out of 4 stars. Although the book veers off the road of traditional poetry styles, I think it has a good set of poems infused with a sense of realism and belonging. I would recommend this book to lovers of modern and love poetry.

Passion, Love, and Tears: Poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daikin03101996's review? Post a comment saying so!
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

I love and write a lot of poetry so this book interests me. Usually the poet writes from certain life experiences. It would be lovely to read this poet's view of love, passion and tears in life. Great review Kinnera.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

I'm a lover of poetry and I got some of mine too. It's good you noticed they were well written and edited. Nice review.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html

Post by 0719672189 »

I have never been a great fan of poems but this does sound interesting.
Catherine Ramac
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Catherine Ramac »

I love writing and this book inspires me to pursue the different side of my craft..
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like your descriptions of the poems in this book. It's a book I would like exploring. Thanks for your review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like your review but I have to day I wouldn't read this, I am a poet myself but I don't stand for LGBT+
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html

Post by Kinnera »

LINA M-EMBER AMA wrote:I love and write a lot of poetry so this book interests me. Usually the poet writes from certain life experiences. It would be lovely to read this poet's view of love, passion and tears in life. Great review Kinnera.
Thanks for your lovely comment!

-- September 14th, 2017, 9:13 am --
Belynda White wrote:I'm a lover of poetry and I got some of mine too. It's good you noticed they were well written and edited. Nice review.
The book was definitely well-set. Thanks for your reply!

-- September 15th, 2017, 6:22 pm --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I like your review but I have to day I wouldn't read this, I am a poet myself but I don't stand for LGBT+
Sorry to hear you don't support LGBT+ but this book is a good collection of poems on love regardless.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

Thank you for this review. It's really insightful.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I am a strong supporter of LGBT+. So I am reading this. Yes yes yes. :D
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Poetry without metaphors - that seems like an oxymoron :? Glad you enjoyed other aspects of this collection.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
hamza1
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by hamza1 »

Love is a freedom.Love is like a flying bird in the sky. When love is deep its just converted into passion .love this love and poetry
Shelle5

Post by Shelle5 »

Seems to me it would be a good read, I love, love poems.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

According to the review this will be a very nice and preferable poem book to read
quizoneka

Post by quizoneka »

This is so nice review. I love it

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”