Review by ElizabethR -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizabethR
Currently Reading: Swann's Way
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethr.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by ElizabethR -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by ElizabethR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moshe (or Mois) Benarroch's The Immigrant's Lament may be small, but it is mighty.

Even as a full length poetry manuscript, it's on the lower end when it comes to page count. However, it more than makes up for it with the powerful content. Themes of love, loss, and identity are all vividly and comprehensively explored in this thin volume. This collection of poems was translated to English and published in 2005. And thank goodness for the English speaking world—we can finally experience a full collection of Benarroch's poetry in English.

The shorter poems in the collection tend to have a common theme—that being love. In The Immigrant's Lament, Love is not some rose-colored ideal; rather, it is a characteristic that is colored by the experiences around and behind the speaker. While these poems are wonderful, the centerpiece of the collection is, without a doubt, the titular piece. It is a twenty-page tour-de-force. The punctuation, and lack thereof, is used to excellent effect. The lack of sentence structure makes the piece feel like a litany, and the repetition of phrases adds to the solemn mood of reciting the past. After a period appears, you can expect a change, however so slight, in the topic on the surface of the poem—what events Benarroch is recounting. The underlying subject remains through these changes; the exploration of the identity of a twice-immigrant, seeming separation from everything around him, confusions that take root in confusions. The piece does not culminate in final understanding or acceptance (as most of these self-reflections tend to do). Rather than reminiscing about a faded scar from an old wound, Benarroch is reopening a wound that never healed in order to cleanse it from infection.

Benarroch has a way of exploring the unconventional in an even more unconventional way. For example, as an immigrant to Israel from Morocco, he does not look back fondly at his motherland. In fact, the reader can almost detect a faint distaste for the past in Benarroch's syntax, especially when taken in the vein of New Criticism. Though I personally do not subscribe to this view, it is useful with poetry—it is, after all, an art where word choice must be precisely chosen.

Overall, I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, with a confident 4 out of 4 stars.

(A quick note: I am so sorry that this is late! I forgot that the deadline for a review is two weeks from the completion date of the book, not the latest date to finish the book! Thank you very much for reading this first review.)

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ElizabethR's review? Post a comment saying so!
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I'm not very good when it comes to appreciating poems. But with your review, I have High hopes for this collection. Thanks for the great review!
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I am curious how the character speak about love through his experiences. Thanks for the review!
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Mois Benarroch's The Immigrant's Lament seems to dwell on his typical thematic preoccupation with Jewish issues such as exile, rootlessness and alienation. I have read his prose, would like to have a feel of his poetry.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

I don't normally select poetry for reading, but this book sounds like a work of art worth reading. I find it most interesting that he explores the unconventional in an even more unconventional way. I'm adding this to my reading list! Thanks for the thorough review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I read the sample of this book since it is the BotD. Your review captures what struck me about those brief excerpts and elaborates on what is in the rest of the book with clarity and insight, and makes me want to finish this book. Thanks so much for this lovely review of what seems like a pretty special work.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”