Review of Walking In Blind - A Collection of Poetry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Review of Walking In Blind - A Collection of Poetry

Post by Mercelle »

Walking In Blind - A Collection of Poetry is a collection of poems by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama. The book vividly tells the story of various aspects of the author's life; her own personal experiences and those of other people around her. She does not shy away from displaying her true emotions as she navigates the tides of life.

As the title suggests, these are the recollections of a young woman who is coming of age and is beginning to form an opinion on how people should relate. The themes of love and betrayal resonate deeply throughout the poems. It is refreshing that it is not just limited to female personas but male personas are also given a voice as these issues cut across both genders. The theme of domestic violence and emotional abuse is also well tackled and I appreciate the author for this as this is still a major issue in our society today.

The author's reference to modern day pop culture makes this book suitable for adolescents and young adults. As the author puts it; "This book is for people who really want to make that effort to understand." Anyone who feels left out in this age of social media where the general perception is that the more you share, the happier you become, will find solace in this book. The author questions popular norms and longs for society to accept her for who she is, without being forced to fit into a particular bracket. These poems are relateable and encourage people to be confident and take a stand to fight for what they believe in, as true happiness is not found in the approval of others.

I applaud the introduction which is brief,captivating and informative. It evokes deep emotions and makes one want to get to the poems as soon as possible. The poems themselves are an emotional rollercoaster of both happiness and sadness as they make the reader eflect on his or her role in society; whether their actions uplift or destroy those they interact with.

I find the poems well written and sincere. The main writing styles used by the author are narrative and free verse, which enable the reader to connect with the persona as it is simple to understand. However, I found only a handful of spelling and grammatical errors in the book. I therefore rate this book an overall 3 out of 4 stars and would recommend it for people across all demographics.

This book is such an eye opener and I am looking forward to reading more works from this author.
Isaacnandi2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Isaacnandi2 »

The book is for all generations whether young or old. will also help the reader have self confidence.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I really respect this author for tackling some difficult topics from her own life! It's nice to see a take on poetry that's more personal than most.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”