Review of Diotima

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Review of Diotima

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diotima" by Bernard Kuckuck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book, Diotima, by Bernard Kuckuck, is a tragic play that takes place in the latter part of the eighteenth century and the early part of the nineteenth century, revolving around a group of friends who were seminarians. They were also poets. We are introduced to Hölderlin, who seems to be the most outstanding. Hölderlin has a strong passion for Greek mythology and has always desired to study more about it. Right after seminary school, he breaks off his engagement to his fiancee and seeks to fulfill his passions. He goes on a search to find his Diotima. Just when he and his friends were about to have their big break and get their recognition, tragedy struck. They all experience shocking events in quick succession that would leave any reader shocked. Would he find his Diotima? Would he survive the coming events?

One of the commendable parts of this book is that the author ensured it was not a long read. While long books do not necessarily affect my overall pleasure, the brevity and concise nature of this book ensured my attention for the most part. The author ensured the book was written with a legible font too, which I found pleasing and worthy of note. This book is professionally edited. I was able to spot just one notable error in it. Regarding the content of the book, the author included German and French words, which added to the beauty of my reading experience. The author thoughtfully included a glossary to help any reader who doesn't understand these words.

However, I didn't appreciate the manner in which events transitioned. This minute, a character is here, and the next minute, he's in another country. I felt the author should have done a bit more to carry readers along. I noticed some time jumps without really having an expectation of them. For instance, Hölderlin's age.

This read earns a well-deserved three out of five stars from me. The smooth flow of reading without an abundance of errors influences this. However, the uncomfortable time jumps left me wanting more. This book would be best suited for poets and lovers of poetry and Greek mythology.

Diotima
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”