Official Review: Forbidden Betrayal by Sabaine Harinarain

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Forbidden Betrayal by Sabaine Harinarain

Post by godreaujea »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forbidden Betrayal" by Sabaine Harinarain.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Forbidden Betrayal by Sabaine Harinarai is a narrative poem about loss and grief with an element of magic realism. The story follows Marie, a teenager growing up in a cult-like community, who feels responsible for the death of her best friend, and then loses the love of her life. Marie relates her months of struggle with depression through a heart wrenching narrative poem.

The story Harinarai weaves is original, creative, and very raw. Told from the point of view of Marie, the reader experiences her deepest pain, which she manages to hide from her family, friends, and teachers for months. Through her healing, Marie is trying to make sense of her life and the cult-like community she lives in, but she does not like what she discovers.

I appreciate how Harinarai does not spell everything out for the reader, but allows the reader to make connections through Marie’s sad and confused retelling. Although Marie’s story is unique, it is very relatable to anyone who has suffered from grief, anxiety, or depression. Harinarai does not sugar coat the self-loathing and violent thoughts that root themselves in Marie’s mind as she battles with depression single-handedly for months. Marie is a complicated and well developed character. The themes of good versus evil, corruption, and loss of innocence add to the depth of this narrative poem. In narrative poems, it can be difficult to include more than one character, as well as dialogue, but Harinarai manages to pull off both of these feats with style.

Harinarai’s poetry is gripping, but I believe there is room for improvement. Some lines could be rearranged so they land on a more powerful note. Also, at times she tries to rhyme, but I think it would make Marie’s thoughts seem more chaotic, confusing, and sincere if there was more dissonance. Overall, however, I am impressed by Harinarai’s poetic abilities. The only other complaint I have is that the ending is very abrupt and a bit confusing. Although I appreciate how the Harinarai encourages the reader to make connections, I think the author would benefit from expanding and clarifying the events that take place at the end.

Forbidden Betrayal is a fascinating narrative poem that involves magic realism. It is a quick read that is professionally edited and it showcases the raw emotions that encompass grief, anxiety, and depression. I have decided to rate Forbidden Betrayal 3 out of 4 stars. I believe that Harinarai’s poetry is impressive but there is some room for improvement, and I hope the ending gets expanded and clarified. I would recommend Forbidden Betrayal to anyone who appreciates narrative poetry, magic realism, or stories dealing with grief, anxiety, and depression.

Forbidden Betrayal
View: on Bookshelves

Like godreaujea's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I've ever read a narrative poem like this. It would definitely be interesting to try something like that. Sounds like a fairly good book even with the room for improvement. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
samukaru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samukaru »

very good
Destiny Okapaleke

Post by Destiny Okapaleke »

very good
Yanny22

Post by Yanny22 »

Very interesting story...
kirano jeff
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kirano jeff »

it is a tourching poem full o axiety and i would recommend one 2 read it .....xnks its such agreat work
Kate Almonte

Post by Kate Almonte »

Full of emotions . Very good
Mustafa Abdi malik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98284">The ultimate secrets of total self-confidence</a>
Currently Reading: The Three Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mustafa Abdi malik »

Superb this book made my day......full of emotions ..nice one
wicky dave
Currently Reading: Lindsey's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by wicky dave »

its fantastic and interesting.I would urge everyone to read it.
Viktor2z
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Viktor2z »

Awesome, love the thrill
beatriceanyango
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by beatriceanyango »

:( wow i would encourage my friends to stick in honest relationship to avoid making others suffer .i like the poem narrative.thanks.
Virginia clements
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by Virginia clements »

This is amazing.
David emmanuel

Post by David emmanuel »

intresting...very awsome story
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

The scope of this narrative poem is a very sensitive one (at least to me). Awesome review, godreaujea!
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
wuo nyimatiro

Post by wuo nyimatiro »

awesome poem I like

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”