Review by Bookworm39 -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Bookworm39 -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by Bookworm39 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant’s Lament by Mois Benarroch is a nonfiction book of poems. It was published by Moben Publishing in 2016. Mois Benarroch was born in Morocco in 1959 but came to Israel in 1972 with his parents. This book of poems is translated in Hebrew and English.

This book was first published in Hebrew in 1994. In Israel, he is an award-winning poet. This author is interesting. He was awarded the Prime Minister Literary Prize in 2008. He was also awarded the Yehuda Amichai Poetry Prize in 2012. I had to look him up since I like his book of poems.

This book contains fifty-three poems in which the author writes about his life. His poems focus on love, family, friends, life and freedom. For the most part, his poems are only a page long but for two it is longer. The two longest poems is The Immigrant’s Lament, which is 18 pages long and the Self Portrait of the Poet in a Family Mirror, which is 12 pages long. The poem The Immigrant’s Lament is the source for the title of the book. In this poem, the poet talks about his life in third person. It focuses on when he and his family left home to go to Israel and different things that happened. This is the first poem that you read. The last poem in this book is the Self Portrait of the Poet in a Family Mirror. This poem is 12 pages long. This poem is about who is he and what he wants. It touches on many subjects.

I love reading and writing poetry and I love this book. Most people love poetry even if they don’t understand it. In this book of poems, the author writes about various aspects of his life. What I like about this book is that there is one poem on each page. This makes it easier for the reader to know when the poem ended.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this book is that the Table of Contents was at the end of the book instead of the beginning of the book. I haven’t seen a book that the Table of Contents was at the end before.

I rate this book of poems by Mois Benarroch, 4 out of 4 stars. This book had a few errors but nothing that takes away what the author is trying to convey. I would recommend this book to all poetry lovers. This would be good for beginning poets.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Bookworm39's review? Post a comment saying so!
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

This is a great review! I also read this collection and I really enjoyed it too. I was surprised that they put the table of contents at the end since the structure of his poetry seemed crucial to understanding the themes of his work.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

I love reading and writing poetry and I love this book. - we are like-minded in this regard. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Bookworm39

Post by Bookworm39 »

Thanks.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The Immigrant's Lament seems to dwell on the author's typical thematic preoccupation with Jewish issues such as exile, rootlessness and alienation. I have read his prose, would like to have a feel of his poetry. I think the review is well-done.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I'm not a big fan of poetry but there are a lot of good reviews of this one, so maybe I'll give it a try...

And some authors put their Table of Contents at the back of their kindle books so that the previews (on Amazon or B&N, etc.,) show more of the book and not just a bunch of Table of Contents and only a page or two of content. Previews are only a percentage of the book and if preview shows 15%, and your front matter and Table of Contents take up the first 13%, that's only 2% for customers to decide if they want to buy your book or not. Table of Contents at the back of the book allows more content to show.

Just for your info... ;)
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I remember how having the Table of Contents at the end threw me the first time I saw it in a French book. I've got used to it now though, as it's commonplace in many cultures. Your review provides a useful overview of the content anyhow!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I also read a book on Benarroch. His book was rooted on his Jewish origin. I like this book, I wanna read this one some other time.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Bookworm39

Post by Bookworm39 »

Thanks.
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59

Post by powergirl »

I love reading poetry but only when i understand what the poet talks about. I read this book on immigrant experience and i found the poems engaging and intellectual,so that even non-initiated to poetry could understand what is about.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Poetry and I are two worlds far apart. Tried this in high school but nope. I am not into poems.
When I looked at your review and description of the poems, I view you as a lucky person.
Well done this is a great review especially to the lovers of poetry.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”