Review by Gnome -- The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Review by Gnome -- The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Post by Gnome »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant's Lament by Mois Benarroch is an autobiographical book of poems. Benarroch looks at his life in emotions as well as in the events. Each poem uses free verse and relies on meter to propel the reader from one line to the next. Some poems are more successful with this than others. The freedom of free verse makes the book easy to read and understand. Each poem gives the reader a complete sense of who Mois Benarroch is. Benarroch also hints at some of the influences that led him to become a writer.

The first poem in The Immigrant's Lament highlights Bennaroch's extended family. He focuses on the various opportunities they had to move away from Morocco and why it took the time it did. (Benarroch's family did move to Israel in the early 1970s, when he was 13.) The book ends on a stark self portrait that seems to pick up many years after his family ode left off. In the final poem Benarroch examines himself in a sort of midlife crisis and he ends on a note of hope. Each of the 50 other poems are filled with musings on love, relationships, and time. There are also hints of what it means to live in the Middle East.

On a technical note, The Immigrant's Lament has very few errors. There are a few places where Bennaroch uses standard grammar rules in the poem but one or two words do not fit. It seems as though there is an editing or translation error instead of a stylistic choice in these cases. The errors do not take away from the goal of each poem and everything is easy to read. There is also a bit of inconsistency in the spacing between the poems and their titles. Again, this is not something that takes away from the poem's experience. Overall the errors hint at the multicultural aspect of the book, Mois Benarroch originally published The Immigrant's Lament in Hebrew.

Mois Benarroch's intended audience seems to go beyond the poetry enthusiast. Benarroch weaves together poems about his life with poems about his home in Israel. It seems to be as important to share culture as it is for Mois Benarroch to share his life's story. The lack of poetic form aids in the ease of reading to highlight the poem's feeling.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. At only 91 pages, there is no reason not to read The Immigrant's Lament. It is short, easy to read, and gives a true look at the author's soul.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Gnome's review? Post a comment saying so!
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Great book. The fact that this autobiographical book has been written in poetry form (free verse) makes it more appealing. I recommend it to all lovers of musical words.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

Really looking forward to reading this. I started writing poetry in first grade and didn't write prose fiction until I was in my thirties. I'm always seeking out new books of poetry to see what's happening out there. I love the cover!
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

A glimpse into the life and memories of an immigrant through poetry. Thanks for the review.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The Immigrant's Lament dwells on the author's typical thematic concerns with Jewish issues. I have read his prose, would like to have a feel of his poetry.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”