Looking Glass Lies By Varina Denman

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Looking Glass Lies By Varina Denman

Post by Birdlady1950 »

LOOKING GLASS LIES

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. 1 Peter 3:3-4

STORY-LINE LOOKING GLASS LIES BY VARINA DENMAN:

Looking Glass Lies by author Varina Denman will rip out your heart. An intense look into today’s society filled with warped values, self-destruction, and deception. I could not put this book down.

Cecily Ross, divorced from her mentally abuse husband, returns home to Canyon, Texas hoping to find peace and a way to fix herself. Thinking she never met the beauty standards the media sells women, Cecily has a wealth of self-confidence and emotional issues. Returning homes supposed to help her center and heal emotionally; things do not always work out as we hope. However, with her father at her back, a support group led by an awesome woman, an old friend at her side, and maybe a little romance, Cecily may just change her life. Come with Cecily and friends on their journey of revelation and renewal. My reviews for psychological woman’s romance fiction novel, Looking Glass Lies, follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Talk about an emotional roller coaster; Looking Glass Lies has it in spades. Filled with drama, emotional turmoil, self-destructive behavior, and the jaundice view the media gives women of themselves, Looking Glass Lies grabs the reader immediately and never let’s go. Every woman who has ever looked in the mirror and seen ugly, imperfection, or compared herself to the latest stick thin model, should read this novel. Denman faces these issues head-on and takes off running. She masterfully impresses on the reader to see their true self; stop listening to the media who’s only interested in the bottom line, the almighty dollar. For the attitudes we develop towards our body from childhood will have grave consequences later in life. Denman impressively demonstrates that sex sells everything from soup to cars; leaving the men and women of the world with unrealistic ideals and motivations.

Cecily character fits all the above to a T. But as Deman leads us through the novel, we find women are not alone in the quest for perfection. Men have their own set of ideals to live up to. The characters in this novel are believable and realistic. Denman developed them progressively throughout the story-line; some unlearn habits of a lifetime while others sink under the media lies. Denman skillfully shows each one of us have issues, some seen from the outside, some are not; but inside, we all suffer in different degrees and ways. Throwing in a sweet romance to soften an otherwise heart ripping story-line, gives the reader relief from the drama of negative emotions.

The pace of the story is perfect for the length of the novel, along with plotting that keeps the reader glued to the pages. Grab a box tissues as you sit down to read Looking Glass Lies; you will need them. Also, Deman includes beautiful vivid descriptions of the Canyon area and all nature can provide in this area of Texas.

In concluding my reviews for woman’s psychological romance fiction, Looking Glass Lies, I found an intensely emotional and drama filled book. I commend Denman for her bravery in bringing this subject to the public’s attention in an enjoyable avenue. Also, Denman included quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson which applied so well to the story-line; as usual her research is impeccable. Denman is one in a million as she writes about issues relevant to life in today’s world. I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend.
LOOKING GLASS LIES RECOMMENDATION: STARS 5

I could do no less than give this novel 5 well-deserved stars for subject, gutting wrenching drama, composition, development and prose. If you have not read her earlier novels, I highly recommend you do so.

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

I am not obliged to post a review for this book; I am doing so on my own and at a voluntary basis with an honest reviews for psychological woman’s romance novel, Looking Glass Lies. I received this book from Netgalley. Furthermore, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book/novel review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book/novel reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. Furthermore, no one influenced my voluntary reviews for psychological woman’s romance novel, Looking Glass Lies.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

A very interesting approach for a book review. The book sounds amazing. Here at OBC the highest rating is a 4 and you could do no less than a 5 - story sounds really heart-gripping. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”