Official Review: A Lament by Lakshmy Menon Nair

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: A Lament by Lakshmy Menon Nair

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lament" by Lakshmy Menon Nair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry is a powerful art form that elicit strong emotions from its readers. Poetry can make a cold heart turn warm. Poetry can caress a soul. It can have you questioning the meaning of life and wondering how to better yours. In Lakshmy Menon Nair’s A Lament, we see a collection of poetry depicting natural life, innocent experiences and the complications of the world we live in.

Before I began to read a single poem, I was in awe of the book cover. It was eye-catching and demonstrated the essence of nature. I also noticed that there was a profound sadness to it until I remembered what the word, “lament,” meant. After that realization, I was even more intrigued to read the author’s poetry. She was very descriptive in her writing and had an easy, soft flow to her work.

The collection is broken into different sections with different themes. The first theme, which ended up being my favorite, was on the theme of our natural world. In some of the poems, they painted an image with words. You could truly see the image of a little girl trying to catch rain drops with her hands or of a mother bird celebrating the return of spring with her babies. In the poem, “Sunset”, you can picture the image of a curtain slowly closing on the sun. In other poems, the author personifies each season and they become actual characters in a story. In “Accidental Spring”, she physically dances and drinks with Spring. In “Uninvited Guest”, she sees a guest at her door disguised as a winter blizzard and closes the door in his face. Readers will find themselves so drawn into her words that they might be tempted to go outside and tap dance in the sunlight.

A Lament had poems that depicted other subjects as well. The author demonstrates a rare ability to turn the most mundane moments into something more philosophical. We see ordinary scenes in life like an old couple sitting on a bench or a mother in an attic. To the naked eye, these aren’t noteworthy scenes. The author eloquently paints a picture that is so profound that it will leave anyone questioning the importance of every moment of their life. In later poems, we feel a great amount of sadness with topics that are heavy on the heart. The author nurtures her readers by adding in poems that resonate hope and shows the beauty of human strength and kindness.

I rate this book, 4 out of 4 stars. Every poem in the collection told its own story and carried its own message. The one thing that I noted about this poetry collection is that it is simple enough to attract all readers, whether they like poetry or not. It wasn’t unnecessarily descriptive or hard to comprehend. Even when it spoke on the most complicated of topics, it did it in an effortless way that all readers would appreciate. I know I most certainly appreciated the work and that is why I want to end this with my favorite line from one of the poems in A Lament.

A new dawn is shaping up
a new show will conceive
nothing ends without a beginning
and nothing begins without an ending.

-Lakshmy Menon Nair, "Sunset"

A Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually into poetry, but you have made this sound wonderful. Sounds like the author was able to express herself quite well through this means. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm not usually into poetry, but you have made this sound wonderful. Sounds like the author was able to express herself quite well through this means. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading! I really enjoyed this collection of poetry. A lot of times, I read poems and they go way over my head. This collection was moving and easy to grasp.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

As a lover of poetry I am moved by the imagery this review evokes, and I find myself delving into this volume with relish. Well portrayed.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:As a lover of poetry I am moved by the imagery this review evokes, and I find myself delving into this volume with relish. Well portrayed.
Thank you so much! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow such a great review for such a promising poetry collection. I definitely want to read this book after your review. Thanks.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I don't like reading poetry that much but this review seems amazing .. ???
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”