Official Review: And The Little Hills Rejoice

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Official Review: And The Little Hills Rejoice

Post by Jauthor97 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And the Little Hills Rejoice by Barry Bennett Blander, is a book of poetry that supposedly depicts different stories from the Bible and a few from the author’s own experiences in life. The book goes from poems about the death of Christ, to poetry that is filled with references to Greek mythology, to poetry that is about a friends struggles with life.

The author uses many different rhythms and meters with his poetry. His poetry does rhyme, which makes it easier to read at times. The order and structure of the poetry is perfect, but the content and the words are repetitive, and at times contradictory. The description on the back of the book dedicates all of the poetry to the “glory of God” however, a few of the poems spoke of self-harm or alluded to Greek mythology. Seeing as it was dedicated to being about God and the Christian walk, I found the poetry that flowed with mythology rather contradictory.

As a lover of poetry and also a Christian, I wanted to like and enjoy this poetry. But the repetitiveness of the poetry destroyed that hope. There are different poems that have almost the exact same story, similar lines, and even the same rhymes. One such thing occurs in the very first poem, Calvary. The poem begins with “Nailed to splintered wood of the sacred cross Your fathomless eyes wept a sea of blood.” A few pages later the poem Crown of Thorn starts with a similar line “On the splintered wood of the cross You wept a sea of blood.” Those same two poems also have other instances of the same line or rhyme at other places. They are nearly the same poem with a few words omitted and added. Repetition in poetry is common, but two different poems should not be close enough to be almost the same.

Most of the poems were disappointingly shallow thoughts disguised as deep words, but there were a few that made me stop and read them all over again. Poetry is meant to make one feel something. It isn’t always understandable but it is meant to inspire, enthrall, and excite. Edgar Allen Poe once said “To elevate the soul, poetry is needed.” The poetry in And the Little Hills Rejoice very rarely ‘elevated the soul” in any way at all.

I gave this book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars because out of the entire book of poetry, there were very few poems that could be described as real. Emily Dickinson, one of the most well-known American poets, said “If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.” Rather than feeling elated and intrigued by Barry’s poetry, I felt annoyed. Many of the poems made me think of a copycat, as if they weren’t the author’s own words, but rather an attempt at sounding more like a poet, such as Poe or Dickinson. Poetry is made to be felt, and this book made me feel nothing.

And The Little Hills Rejoice
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jauthor97's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this book was such a let down. It sounds like a good idea, just not well executed. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

It seems good for Christians but not so interesting.
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Nice review, I've always wanted to read poetry but I guess I should stay away from this book it might make me hate poetry
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

What a shame. It sounded like this poetry book had a lot of potential. Sorry it wasn't for you.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for such an honest review . I would never read this novel
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Voke98
Currently Reading: Murder at Broadcast Park
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Voke98 »

:shock: Nice for the review and good for christians.....

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”