Official Review: Herd of Tusks by Lobibah Oji Baraka

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Herd of Tusks by Lobibah Oji Baraka

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Herd of Tusks" by Lobibah Oji Baraka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Herd of Tusks is the debut poetry collection by author Lobibah Oji Baraka. The 48 pieces touch on aging, grief, love, sports, dancing and good music. Mr. Baraka highlights the importance of his faith and family throughout the anthology. A high school English teacher of 20 years, he has been writing poems since adolescence, and his lifelong experience shows in the broad range of themes found in the book. The tone of the text is a pendulum swinging from somber to joyous, and back again. It is well-balanced. The compilation is filled mostly with freeform verse, although the author acknowledges the sestina form with one of his pieces.

The book itself is visually appealing, with silhouettes of elephants placed at the beginning of each section. Elephants, with their long memories, pack orientation and fierce loyalty are an appropriate visual representation for this anthology. Mr. Baraka's writing clearly shows his passion for life, and his love of family and friends. He takes the reader along as he mourns the loss of his mother, pays tribute to his elders, celebrates the beauty of African American culture, and lauds Barry White's music. The layout and the content make this an enjoyable read.

Mr. Baraka's writing is so engaging that I can almost hear the verses in my head as I read them. Some pieces are hard-hitting while others are playful. It is easy to imagine him performing at a poetry slam and dropping the mike at the end of a powerful piece like "Let Me See You", dedicated to the natural beauty of black women, or "I Know What Happens (to Dreams Deferred)", written in response to Langston Hughes' 1951 poem "Harlem".

Another piece that draws the reader in is "Ample Sample (Jazz at the 5-Mile House)". The rhythm starts out slow, builds to a rapid cadence, then slows back down at the end. I can visualize it being recited in a dark café, with fast jazz playing low in the background, and the audience snapping their approval at the end of the performance.

I rate Herd of Tusks 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is engaging, the range of topics is balanced and it appears to be professionally edited. People who enjoy down-to-earth poems about everyday life will love this collection. Everyone can relate to the subject matter included: anger, grief, joy, love and mortality. Kudos to Mr. Baraka on a great debut publication!

Herd of Tusks
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”