Official Review: The Poems of Robin R Rabii

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: The Poems of Robin R Rabii

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Poems of Robin R Rabii" by Robin R Rabii.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Poems of Robin R. Rabii by Robin R. Rabii is a poetry collection that is simultaneously varied and unified. The central theme of this collection is connection, and it is expressed in a myriad of ways. Sometimes a poem shows the connection between two lovers; sometimes it shows the connection between a person and his/her nation. One of my favorites lines displays connection crossing a tough division: “I kissed a conservative today, and she kissed me liberally!” Many poems expose disconnection to highlight the need for a better alternative. These poems might show racial divisions, religious conflicts, war, or abuse of the environment. Whether showcased or strikingly absent, the theme is apparent in each and every poem.

In addition to being varied in how they present the theme, the poems in this collection seemed quite varied in style. Some rhymed or followed familiar rhythm patterns, and some were free verse. A few switched styles mid-poem. One of the things I love most about poetry is that it derives its power from not only what a poet says but also how he/she says it. When a poem’s style and tone start changing, I start asking myself whether such is deliberate or the author is merely confused or distracted. There are a few poems in this collection that, even though they show excellent artistry at times, feel distracted overall. It is as if multiple poems were mashed together to create a single poem that loses focus and lasts for pages and pages.

Like any excellent poet, Robin R. Rabii’s collection demands that the reader thinks about difficult subjects. The author does not shy away from topics like racism, homosexuality, religion, and sex. They are addressed frankly and powerfully, and the manner of address is often unexpected. In one poem, a metaphor of war is used to view parental love (and the sacrifices entailed therein). In another, plumbing is used to explain neighborly love. In a third, violent assault is the metaphor for humanity’s relationship to the environment. The unexpected metaphor is one of poetry’s most valuable tools to help readers see the world in new ways, and Robin Rabii uses it masterfully.

Regardless of the quality of the poems themselves, a long-winded preface and introduction really turned me off to the book before I even encountered the real meat of it. These beginning soliloquies were extremely wordy and far too long. Once I reached the end of the preface and found an introduction waiting for me, I questioned whether I even wanted to continue on to the poetry at all.

As I considered the rating and recommendation, I weighed the excellence of individual poems against the failings of the few that lost their impact by being too long and out of focus. I also had to consider the presence of sex and violence (tasteful, but possibly unsuitable for children). In the end, I’ve decided to rate The Poems of Robin R. Rabii 3 out of 4 stars. Any mature poetry lover might enjoy at least some of these poems, and even if you have to pick and choose, the majority of the poems in this collection are well worth reading.

The Poems of Robin R Rabii
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Very well written review, L_Therese! As I'm writing this I'm about to write a review for a poetry book myself. This is a great review to use as an example.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Thanks Cee-Jay Aurinko! I struggle with poetry reviews sometimes, so affirmation is GREATLY appreciated!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Thank you for your review L_Therese. I am expanding my personal reading choices by delving more into poetry. This seems like it might have some interesting poems in it from what I read in your review. Your review is very well written and I will be looking into this book. Thanks again. :D
Madison Degraffenreid
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

Quite a well written review!

I'm writing a poetry collection's review, so your amazing one has given me lots of inspiration and guidance.

Good work =)
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Thank you for your review. I don't read too much poetry but am looking for some good ones now:D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea, but is sounds like a good collection of poems. It is nice that the poems not only varied in how they present the theme, but also varied in style. I am glad you enjoy them despite the stormy start. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This actually sounds quite interesting, but I tend to be put off by long prefaces and introductions as well. Especially when sampling the book, I want to get an idea of what I would be getting out of it.

Thank you for a very informative review.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I just checked the sample from Amazon and I was slightly turned off by the lengthy preface. But after reading your review, I think there are some interesting poems in the book. Thanks for the honest review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Poetry collections are often difficult reads for me. I find it is really difficult for a collection to be completely successful. It seems like this collection also fails to be successful in all accounts. I do think this collection may be worth reading for those that stand out though. I'm glad the author tackles difficult subjects with her work!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A set of poems that make you think about difficult subjects sounds intriguing. I'm curious about how this book gives insight in nurturing connection between people and things. Too bad about the long introduction and preface. I can see how this could be off-putting. Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

The review is as good as the book. I'm not so sure about open-mindedness but guess that it is necessary for a poet.
Jim Thorne
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Other than the preface this sounds like a great book of poetry covering a variety of controversial topics. I'm not much into poetry myself, but it sounds good if that is your thing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Wonderful, thoughtful review! Some of the poems sound like they really had an impact on you. Congrats to the author for making BOTD!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Excellent Review! The poetry sounds very thought provoking! I am interested in the points the author makes about important topics within the poetry. Great job!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”