Julius Caesar, Shakespeare

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Re: Julius Caesar, Shakespeare

Post by Eileen R »

I've always thought that Julius Caesar is a work of art. It's my favorite Shakespeare creation it definitely beats Romeo and Juliet in my opinion.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

So much of modern drama was done by others first. Shakespeare is the father of the modern romance as well as comedy. He stole tragedy from the Greeks (read Oedipus Rex). As they say, there is nothing new under the sun.
pre106-2
Favorite Book: Romeo and Juliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by pre106-2 »

At the end of the book I was like why does he had to die?? was a tragedy but at the end good triumph over evil.. Julius ceaser is a book by Shakespeare which doesn't just portray war, it is an adventure, a mind blowing book.. one AF my favourite in Shakespeare's collection. :D
Obad24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Obad24 »

This is the best of shakespeare books and the most famous,the characters in there are extra ordinary and the quotes are memorable.
Kroos Kelvin

Post by Kroos Kelvin »

Julius Caesar is one of Shakespeare's art work that has a model
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I had to read Julius Ceasar in school and me my friends never realized what a good story it was until we were studying for exams months later. The language used in Shakespeare's plays used to be somewhat of a barrier for me then, but I grew to like it because it made the story more interesting because I had to work to unpack it. As for The Fault in Our Stars reference, I got it while I was studying Shakespeare. The book, which I've never read and don't plan to, came out around the time I was studying and I didn't pick up the reference until I read it in class.
Awats17

Post by Awats17 »

:oops: I love reading Shakespeare’s romance theater play by I must say this by far is my most favorite Julius Caesar’s is play that deals with life or death and how he writes his plays as a reader you can visualize how the characters felt in each act and scene
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

That Julius Caesar quote is one of the more famous quotes from the play, so when I saw Green's book title it came to mind right away. But then, I am a big Shakespeare fan. It would seem that Green is as well, or at least a Julius Caesar fan.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love Shakespeares works and is one of my all time favourite authors, but personally this was not my favourite of his plays. I struggled to except the concept of Brutus be a tragic hero for betraying his friend, although I understand why in that time period people were more susceptible to putting all their trust in others. I did love Antony’s character, in particular his brilliant speech and I would love to explore the historical connection between Cleopatra and him soon.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

This is a great play. I got to see a production of JC at the Oregon Shakespeare Fest years ago. It was brilliant. They gave it a very primitive vibe. The play opened with a lot of drums and chanting as the Soothsayer gave her prophesy, “Ceasar! Beware the Ides of March!” The the play started as Shakespeare wrote it. At the end they showed the Soothsayer giving her prophesy again, as if the play we just watched was her vision. Such a cool take.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Sabtrusty

Post by Sabtrusty »

Shakespeare is amazing writer i always enjoy his stories
grgmrn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grgmrn.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by grgmrn »

Julius Caesar and The Tempest are in my opinion by far his best plays. I Also enjoyed Lear, but not as much as the two above mentioned.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”