Official Review: Looking Back by Teesa Mee

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: Looking Back by Teesa Mee

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking Back" by Teesa Mee.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking Back: Poems from My Adolescent Self by Teesa Mee is a book consisting of various different types of poems. In the introduction, we are given a few details on the author, Teesa Mee’s life. Here we learn that she wrote all the poems except the last one, between 1971 and 1975, while she was attending high school. She continued writing them until her senior year of college. Most of the poems in the book share the theme of love and some of the poems are philosophical reflections.

I gave this book 2 out of 4 stars. There were some very well written and emotional poems throughout the book. Teesa Mee is a gifted writer that knows how to draw emotion whether she is using long complicated words or if she uses short generic words. The author also knows how to get an idea across without using that many words, in fact some of the best poems in the collection are the shorter ones. Teesa Mee was able to paint a picture with her perfect choice of words for most of the poems. The poems that were good were not just good, they were great.

The reason I only gave this book 2 out of 4 stars is because I only liked about half of the poems. The poems that are in the beginning were too confusing for me. It seemed like the author was writing about an event that occurred in her life while picturing it, but for the reader there were not enough clues or hints to make it clear about what she was talking about. Unfortunately, it just seemed like ramblings to me.

The author lets us know in the introduction that most of the poems were written while she was in high school and I have to say that while reading some of the poems you can clearly tell that it was a high schooler who wrote them. There were also some poems in the collection that seemed like they were missing a word or that the word used in the sentence was not the right one.

To conclude, Looking Back: Poems from My Adolescent Self by Teesa Mee was an enjoyable read that still needs some proof reading or some editing out of certain poems. I would also like to note that the author chose a very alluring title to give to her collection. The title is what drew me in.

Looking Back
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, balanced review. I had considered selecting this book for review recently, so it was a treat to read your opinions. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of the poems, while giving good, constructive criticism for the others.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thank you :) and yeah, some of the poems were a treat to read.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Great review. It seems that she probably matured as a writer as she wrote more. It would be interested to read newer poetry from her.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I often find that I struggle with reading poems because of this same reason. They are beautiful, but sometimes when you really don't know what to make of them and the author is giving nothing away- it can become confusing. I guess sometimes that is the point though- so that you will develop something out of it on your own. Nice review.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sarah_Khan

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thanks guys :D
And glad to see I'm not the only one
klbradley wrote:I often find that I struggle with reading poems because of this same reason. They are beautiful, but sometimes when you really don't know what to make of them and the author is giving nothing away- it can become confusing.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”