Official Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: Bleeding Gull: Look, Feel, Fly , by Raed Anis Al-Jishi.

Bleeding Gull: Look, Feel, Fly is a collection of poems. There are just under ninety poems in the volume, and the poems are quite short. Many of the poems are less than ten lines. The shortest is only three lines. Many of the poems do not rhyme, and the meters vary greatly between the poems.

The subjects of each poem are very diverse. They range from “A Summer Day,” to “Burgundy,” to “Motivation of Death,” to “Innocent Eyes,” to “Tunisia,” to “An Affair,” to “Beirut Nights,” to “Crucified Languages,” to “Martyrs,” to “Autism Girls.” The directions that the poems take are quite mixed. Some of them address the subject directly, others reflect an emotion or an experience connected to the title.

Aside from the brief contact information at the end of the book, there is very little information provided about the poet behind the work. This makes for an interesting reading experience. Many of the poems appear to be providing some sort of insight into the author’s mind– or perhaps more accurately, the author’s heart, but it is unclear exactly what is being said and what specific emotions are being expressed. After reading this collection of poems, I got the sense that I was reading a very personal expression of art and inspiration, and though I could easily detect the insight, passions, and feelings that form the power behind the poems, I realized that I had no clue as to the character of the artist behind the work.

There are little hints that may cast light upon the author. Or perhaps they refer to someone else, or a fictional character. I don’t know. There’s no way of knowing. Lines like “A broken man / Hangs with broken things” from “Hanging Out” and the line “Some grief can’t end / Till it hurts you more / Than you bear to speak” from “Grieve” indicate that the author seems to be channeling some deep sorrow into the poems.

Individually, the poems are so brief that most of them have very little impact, at least initially, though many of them briefly shock the reader with an intense phrase. As a whole, the collection leaves the author an enigma, but the emotions expressed in the poems are quite real, understandable, yet mysterious and impossible to concretely identify. This volume of poems creates an indelible impression, with love and loss deftly intertwined and mixed with numerous observations on the little things that make up life.

I give this book three out of four stars.

Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly
View: on Bookshelves

Like GKCfan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Great review. I really appreciate your description of the book. I am currently reading the book so I can review it soon. I'm glad you mentioned the important aspects of the book and so I know what to expect. :D I initially thought it was 18 pages as indicated on the shelve but I can see the pages are more because of the many poems. This is the first poetry book I am reading and I'm hoping to enjoy it.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Sounds like a really interesting collection of poems! Interesting that there is not a lot of information about the author, as that's usually something I would use to help get a greater insight into a poetry collection. I wonder if it was a deliberate choice?
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Non impactful peom is a let off. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I've read this poetry book, and I love every poem that the author wrote. Great review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”