Review of The Lockdown Collection

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Review of The Lockdown Collection

Post by Soraya Bayah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lockdown Collection" by Barry Jacob.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob is a collection of 40 poems discussing various topics in hopes of lifting the spirit of the public after the COVID-19 lockdown. It is mainly centered around Ireland, its politics, beauty, and sports. The book includes a poem about the efforts of healthcare workers during the pandemic, distance learning during the lockdown, and how we took our daily lives for granted. It also discusses more serious topics like Brexit, Trump's mob storming the capitol, world leaders, the Arab Spring, and the Queen's visit to Ireland. No matter where you are from, you will find something to enjoy in this book.

I rarely read poems and was curious to see if I would enjoy this book. It turns out the book was engaging and fun. The poems were rhythmic and entertaining and felt fulfilling as they ended. They were neither short nor too long and encompassed enough of each subject without being overwhelming. They usually had a funny twist at the end that often made me giggle. The book made me look back at what had been two difficult years that changed a lot about how we perceive and do things. A poem that stuck with me was about mobile phones and how they have made us focus less on our surroundings and more on being online. The author proposes we switch them off or put them on silent when outside to live in the moment. He also mentions the importance of taking a daily walk after being trapped in our homes for so long with nothing that counts as physical activity. His pet cat also received well-earned attention for merely being a cat, which I wholly enjoyed.

Although I am not familiar with Irish affairs, the book interested me, causing me to look up various topics regarding Ireland. For example, Mayo, a county in Ireland, hasn't won an All-Ireland football title since 1951. While celebrating their winning of the title back then, they passed a funeral and seemingly acquired bad luck. It was humorous yet unfortunate to discover that the county has not won a title since then. The author used sarcasm in this poem and similar ones, which amused me despite the gloomy undertones of the topics. Some poems mentioned locations to visit in Ireland for those up for a challenge, which made me eager to visit the country. The author also reminds readers of the importance of not littering. All in all, reading the book was a pleasant journey with sarcastic, delightful, and serious notes.

As for the negatives, there were only minor ones. A poem named "Saoirse's Wild Beauty" felt irrelevant to include with the rest due to its flirty nature, making me question its relevance and causing me slight discomfort while reading it. The book contained a handful of errors and a repeated poem named "The Children's Hospital." Thus, it could benefit from another round of proofreading.

In conclusion, I rate this book four out of five stars for having minor negatives along with some errors. It does not include sexual content but has some instances containing borderline profanity. I recommend this book to those from the UK since they are most familiar with the topics discussed. Still, the book is suitable for anyone willing to read about a myriad of subjects like the pandemic, politics, and daily affairs.

The Lockdown Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Young Star 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Young Star 1 »

This is a really nice book to read it give me peace
Peter Odu

Post by Peter Odu »

I really do not understand a thing about this story or poem as claimed.
I believe the pandemic really messed with the entire world and no country was exceptional of the COVID-19
Rk90

Post by Rk90 »

It turns out the book was engaging and fun. The poems were rhythmic and entertaining and felt fulfilling as they ended.
○All but three of the works were created specifically for the collection and all had some resonance to the impact, emotion and response to the pandemic
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

Interesting to read such wonderful piece of review, I love how well detailed it is. Keep it up kudos. Would love to read this book someday.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

Thank you for this riveting review. It is great to know this book has such positive vibes!
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I'm not a regular fan of poems. But your review makes this collection sound interesting and compelling to have a taste. And I love how the author made the poems not too short or long. And love your review. It is detailed and well written.
Maltida Jane
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maltida-jane.html
Latest Review: The Second Eve by Bette Boersma

Post by Maltida Jane »

This review is awesome. It is not my type of book but the reviewer wrote the review with vibes which is great.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Soraya Bayah wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 10:42 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lockdown Collection" by Barry Jacob.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob is a collection of 40 poems discussing various topics in hopes of lifting the spirit of the public after the COVID-19 lockdown. It is mainly centered around Ireland, its politics, beauty, and sports. The book includes a poem about the efforts of healthcare workers during the pandemic, distance learning during the lockdown, and how we took our daily lives for granted. It also discusses more serious topics like Brexit, Trump's mob storming the capitol, world leaders, the Arab Spring, and the Queen's visit to Ireland. No matter where you are from, you will find something to enjoy in this book.

I rarely read poems and was curious to see if I would enjoy this book. It turns out the book was engaging and fun. The poems were rhythmic and entertaining and felt fulfilling as they ended. They were neither short nor too long and encompassed enough of each subject without being overwhelming. They usually had a funny twist at the end that often made me giggle. The book made me look back at what had been two difficult years that changed a lot about how we perceive and do things. A poem that stuck with me was about mobile phones and how they have made us focus less on our surroundings and more on being online. The author proposes we switch them off or put them on silent when outside to live in the moment. He also mentions the importance of taking a daily walk after being trapped in our homes for so long with nothing that counts as physical activity. His pet cat also received well-earned attention for merely being a cat, which I wholly enjoyed.

Although I am not familiar with Irish affairs, the book interested me, causing me to look up various topics regarding Ireland. For example, Mayo, a county in Ireland, hasn't won an All-Ireland football title since 1951. While celebrating their winning of the title back then, they passed a funeral and seemingly acquired bad luck. It was humorous yet unfortunate to discover that the county has not won a title since then. The author used sarcasm in this poem and similar ones, which amused me despite the gloomy undertones of the topics. Some poems mentioned locations to visit in Ireland for those up for a challenge, which made me eager to visit the country. The author also reminds readers of the importance of not littering. All in all, reading the book was a pleasant journey with sarcastic, delightful, and serious notes.

As for the negatives, there were only minor ones. A poem named "Saoirse's Wild Beauty" felt irrelevant to include with the rest due to its flirty nature, making me question its relevance and causing me slight discomfort while reading it. The book contained a handful of errors and a repeated poem named "The Children's Hospital." Thus, it could benefit from another round of proofreading.

In conclusion, I rate this book four out of five stars for having minor negatives along with some errors. It does not include sexual content but has some instances containing borderline profanity. I recommend this book to those from the UK since they are most familiar with the topics discussed. Still, the book is suitable for anyone willing to read about a myriad of subjects like the pandemic, politics, and daily affairs.

The Lockdown Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Thank you for your detailed and balanced review of "The Lockdown Collection" by Barry Jacob. Your feedback provides valuable insights into the book's content and its impact on readers.Your constructive feedback about the inclusion of a poem with flirty content and the need for additional proofreading is valuable, as it provides areas for potential improvement.Thank you for sharing your insights and your thoughtful review of "The Lockdown Collection." Your review offers a balanced perspective for potential readers interested in exploring this collection of poems.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”