Review of Catching Mist in the Wind

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Catching Mist in the Wind

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catching Mist in the Wind" by Kenneth Francis Pearson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Catching Mist in the Wind is a collection of poems written by Kenneth Francis Pearson. The poems centre on nature, particularly in admiring its beauty and therapeutic endowments and exploring the messages it bears for the human race. The latter is very critical because there are many lessons to learn "through songs of nature" (page 13). The poems are written following the format of haiku, which helps bring out the aesthetics of the poems.

I appreciate the effort put into formatting this book. This captured my attention when I started reading it. The stanzas were aligned in a zigzag manner down the pages. It was truly beautiful to look at. The font size and style were great. In addition, the book is thoroughly edited. I did not find any grammatical errors in it. The quotes included at the beginning of each chapter were informative.

It was a time of thrills for me to read about the author's appreciation of nature while he was hiking with his dog, Kiera. Pearson talks about the sun and the wonders it works on the sea, the birds, and the river snaking "through layered stone" (page 49), among others. Each of these gifts of nature was given adequate attention and beautifully developed with the appropriate poetic devices.

I admire Pearson's artistic use of poetic devices like alliteration, personification (as seen on page 29), and simile (as seen on page 17), among others, to garnish the poems in this book. For example, the author's use of alliteration in "lit like lamp light" (page 16) gave the poem a musical quality. The narration was vivid. I could imagine in my mind's eye the frozen raindrop resting on the "stem of winter rose" (page 37).

Pearson showed a masterly use of traditional haiku. The rhythm created by the regular syllables in the first, third, and second lines was captivating. This book has a lot of messages to deliver to the human race. I take it that one of these is a call to befriend nature, which, when done, will not only give us priceless inner peace but also teach us the basics of life and living.

I don't have anything to complain about with this book. I am glad to rate it five out of five stars because of the positive points I highlighted in the above paragraphs. Catching Mist in the Wind is recommended to lovers of well-written poems. This book will also appeal to people who love reading literary pieces that centre on such gifts of nature as mountains, trees, birds, water, and the sun, among others.

Catching Mist in the Wind
View: on Bookshelves
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

I'm not much of a fan of poetry. I only prefer them when they are performed as spoken words. That way I could feel the emotions expressed through the words. I guess I'll take a pass on this one.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A collection of poems that is centered on nature most especially admiring its beauty and therapeutic endowments. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Nice review.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

I love the plethora of poems written in the book. But, I'm not an avid reader of poems, I prefer it being read to me than me being the one to read it. So I'll pass on this one. You carried a good review of the book. Well done.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

l give kudos to the author on the plethora of this poems and for not finding any grammatical errors. nice review

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”