Review of An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: Virginia is for Adventurers by Tara Z. Fisher

Review of An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose" by LTC Nina R. Petrarca, USA, Ret..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever reflected on what your life will be like after retirement? Those already retired: did it come as a surprise, or had you figured out things beforehand? The author of An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose is an emeritus US Army Nurse Corps Officer who found meaning in writing after retirement. The book comprises multiple poems about various disciples in life: life skills, spiritual talks, nature, etc.

“Still Beauty” is about the splendor of Mother Nature. In the early morning, the sun rises, and the oceans begin to warm. Another poem discusses loss, where the persona expresses her feelings after losing a loved one two decades ago. We have another about life and our behavior toward God and others. The narrator encourages us to practice humility, as it breeds humanity and brings us close to our Lord.

We have a poem warning us against revenge and hatred. Also, the persona wants us to know that love and loss are two inseparable elements. One minute you’re celebrating your 20th marriage anniversary, and the next time your spouse has gone to be with the Lord. What more poems do we have?

Unlike most genres, one thing I love about poems is the diversity of ideas. A poet can discuss their sad, light, and life-changing moments in various sonnets. While this book is about 60 pages only, I felt Nina’s emotions and learned several life lessons, appreciating nature among them.

I loved how the author gave a brief history of herself. After retirement, some voice deep inside her kept nudging her to compose a book. That’s how this volume came to be. There was something exceptional about the author’s spiritual journey. From the words, I could tell her faith in God was unequivocal. I enjoyed that.

I enjoyed how Nina Petrarca enriched each poem with feelings that came from inside her heart. For instance, when talking about loss, it was from past experiences. Also, when discussing war, her past was clear enough. As I found no errors, the book is well edited. Without a thing to dislike, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Nina’s writings are among those few books you’re left searching for more installments from her. In other words, there’s a thirst left unquenched. Besides inspiration, An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose by LTC Nina R. Petrarca, USA, Ret. will serve as a guide for young adults. I recommend the volume to lovers of insightful poems.

An American Soldier's Awakening: Anthology of Poetry and Prose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sugar Rush
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugar-rush.html
Latest Review: Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids by ABC Press

Post by Sugar Rush »

A lot of us here don't plan for our retirement. That is why when they retire they fail to come to terms with the fact that their poor planning had led them where they were. I enjoyed your lovely review and would like to read this anthology. You did an exceptional job with this review.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Emmy page »

poetry is a universal language that allows one to open doors into any world while giving the opportunity to express oneself in limitless ways.a book containing poems especially from a retired soldier has a lot to offer and i sure would like to read this one.thanks for your review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”