What are your thoughts on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew?

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beaumont Todd
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beaumont-todd.html

What are your thoughts on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew?

Post by Beaumont Todd »

I have had the opportunity to both read the book as well as act in a play about the same. I found the book to be sexiest in the least about the way the characters portrayed men and women. However it is actually a delightful book in regards to how it can relate to the battle of the sexes in this present age. How some mothers want their daughters to only get a good husband and get married without sometimes taking their daughters feelings into consideration. Yet the outward obedient daughter was the one that most fickle and deceitful. I did enjoy the Petruchio's character and how used his mind, a little reverse psychology and some cruelty to tame is new young wife. The other characters played their roles well be never quite touched me as much as his character with whom I can relate.
scottishbooklover
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by scottishbooklover »

It's been some time since I read the Shrew. It was implied by the uni lecturers that it was misogynistic, however I found it lol funny while being totally relevant today.
kanwal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kanwal »

While I don't have an opinion on this, I do know that since I lost substantial vision in my left eye, I find it easier to read online and with an e-reader than I do reading text from a physical book. Although, that does not stop me from reading in any and all mediums.

Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstone.html
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Post by RStone »

I know that the sexism more or less comes down to the direction/acting. If the final speech is delivered with a wink, it goes one way, if not, it can go the other. Maybe I just want to think that a 'Shrew' (myself more or less being one, by the standards in the play) can win in the end.
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I, personally, do not like the Taming of the Shrew. I think Shakespeare has better pieces, but I understand the importance The Shrew has to gender roles and understanding them. If given the opportunity, I would much rather read Othello. That's just me.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I think the whole "misogynistic" thing where this play is concerned is overdone. First of all we have to keep in perspective that this play was written at the tail end of the 14th century and I'm sure the misogyny issue as well as all of the "politically correct" attitudes we have today would have been considered laughable by people living in that era. If we view the play with that in mind as well as within the context of the plot and not be so damn sensitive I think Shakespeare can be excused. Secondly, where does it say that a shrewish woman of the 14th century (or the 21st century for that matter) cannot be converted to a change of attitude as a plot conceit without it being a misogynistic story? I can easily conceive of a story written in our own times in which a pain-in-the-butt woman is "tamed" through various contrivances of the author. What if the shoe was on the other foot? What if the "shrew" was the male component of the story? We already have a very well known novel where something much like this happens - Darcy, in Pride And Prejudice ... OK, granted, not a perfect example but it will do. We don't hear any women complaining about the fact that Elizabeth "tames" Darcy.

I think we have to stop reading politically correctness into everything we experience. Actually, it just occurred to me that a pretty good story could be written about The Taming Of The Politically Correct *LOL*.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:I think the whole "misogynistic" thing where this play is concerned is overdone. First of all we have to keep in perspective that this play was written at the tail end of the 14th century and I'm sure the misogyny issue as well as all of the "politically correct" attitudes we have today would have been considered laughable by people living in that era. If we view the play with that in mind as well as within the context of the plot and not be so damn sensitive I think Shakespeare can be excused. Secondly, where does it say that a shrewish woman of the 14th century (or the 21st century for that matter) cannot be converted to a change of attitude as a plot conceit without it being a misogynistic story? I can easily conceive of a story written in our own times in which a pain-in-the-butt woman is "tamed" through various contrivances of the author. What if the shoe was on the other foot? What if the "shrew" was the male component of the story? We already have a very well known novel where something much like this happens - Darcy, in Pride And Prejudice ... OK, granted, not a perfect example but it will do. We don't hear any women complaining about the fact that Elizabeth "tames" Darcy.

I think we have to stop reading politically correctness into everything we experience. Actually, it just occurred to me that a pretty good story could be written about The Taming Of The Politically Correct *LOL*.
@DATo
"tames" Mr Darcy - OMG I will never forgive you for just ruining my all time favourite book hero.
All Elizabeth does is reveal the totality of his character or perhaps she provides him with the security & the confidence to
be his true self. Hands off Mr Darcy (and Elizabeth) - you have been warned :hand:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

8)
Fran wrote:
DATo wrote:I think the whole "misogynistic" thing where this play is concerned is overdone. First of all we have to keep in perspective that this play was written at the tail end of the 14th century and I'm sure the misogyny issue as well as all of the "politically correct" attitudes we have today would have been considered laughable by people living in that era. If we view the play with that in mind as well as within the context of the plot and not be so damn sensitive I think Shakespeare can be excused. Secondly, where does it say that a shrewish woman of the 14th century (or the 21st century for that matter) cannot be converted to a change of attitude as a plot conceit without it being a misogynistic story? I can easily conceive of a story written in our own times in which a pain-in-the-butt woman is "tamed" through various contrivances of the author. What if the shoe was on the other foot? What if the "shrew" was the male component of the story? We already have a very well known novel where something much like this happens - Darcy, in Pride And Prejudice ... OK, granted, not a perfect example but it will do. We don't hear any women complaining about the fact that Elizabeth "tames" Darcy.

@DATo
"tames" Mr Darcy - OMG I will never forgive you for just ruining my all time favourite book hero.
All Elizabeth does is reveal the totality of his character or perhaps she provides him with the security & the confidence to
be his true self. Hands off Mr Darcy (and Elizabeth) - you have been warned :hand:
Ditto! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DATo

Post by DATo »

I HAVE SINNED ! *Throws himself to the floor and thrashes about violently in a state of penance.*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:I HAVE SINNED ! *Throws himself to the floor and thrashes about violently in a state of penance.*
I'm tempted to insist you read 50 Shades as your punishment but maybe I'll let you off with The Wicked Wives
:angelic-halofell:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
kavery selvi p

Post by kavery selvi p »

still i am a student ,so i just had an opportunity to read shakespeare creations as a part of my english literture syllabus.because of the ideal brave hearted petruchio,entire story picturizes even a shrew women can be changed to a lovable wife by some psycologycal tricks.ofcourse i am interested in psycology but never i hear those magical tricks which were done by our hero.i often have a dicussion with my freinds that how a tamed woman can withstand and bear all her intelligent actor without quarrelling with him.ultimately,it'll be a creative and laughing masterpiece of a william. :|
MagElyx

Post by MagElyx »

I believe Taming of the Shrew was indeed misogynistic, however I find it a bit puzzling to see the "shrew", Katherina, or Kate, having been portrayed so over-the-top. I think given the context of the time, it was very rare to have seen a woman with such a bad temper. Given the fact that she was Baptista's daughter, so she was allowed to behave this way - wouldn't Baptista have tamed her himself as a father? Hahaha, that's just my honest opinion.
Undoubtedly, the play was very different from Shakespeare's other works and is considered one of his most notable works. However, I feel that it is more relevant today than it was in the past. Not that men should always domesticate women, but women are more likely to behave this way than they used to in the past. Whatever the case, I really do enjoy it, most contrary to all the other comments here in this post. (But it's probably because I contextualise the story to our modern day now where women are climbing up the social ladders.. Haha!) :)

P.S. If anything, I feel like Shakespeare captured the the males POV very well but the females were rather... meh.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

First, I must agree with DAT, that you must keep in mind the era in which this play was written. Anything that old is going to seem politically incorrect in this day and age. That being said, as RStein pointed out, the direction and acting can make a huge difference in how the play comes across. In modern productions, we will often see the actors break the 4th wall, slightly breaking character and deliver final speech with a drink to the audiance.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I agree with this. It can be hard to forget that things written in another time period cover things and view them differently than we do now. It was not thought of as being misogynistic back then.
That being said, I enjoy the play.
I also love the modern adaptation: Ten Things I Hate About You.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I loved The Taming of the Shrew. Although it was more prevalent back in the day for women to be "tamed", it is still widespread today. I recently saw a podcast where they said that women are in fact taming themselves because we are so used to society telling us what we are supposed to be. Interesting, but scary! Things do change...or do they?
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”