Review of Get-A-Long Poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Review of Get-A-Long Poems

Post by Mindy Conahye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get-A-Long Poems" by Dr. Beverly Kastelic Long.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Get-A-Long Poems And Other Conundrums of Childhood is a book of original poetry written by Dr. Beverly Kastelic Long. It is illustrated by Joseph Ezra Durick and Craig Hubert. It contains 27 creative and well-written poems based on famous children's rhymes. The author takes the nursery rhymes and makes them into her own.

In Get-A-Long Poems And Other Conundrums of Childhood, the author creates poems based on popular nursery rhymes and poems. The poems are paired with interesting illustrations. In "Mittens Schmittens," the author based it on the rhyme of "Three Little Kittens." That's the theme throughout the book. The poems are entertaining and the art in the book is captivating. It captures the struggles and joys of childhood. The reader will find the poems to be relatable.

This book would be best suited for those who enjoy poetry. I feel it would be targeted at youth because of the nature of the poems. Adults would enjoy reading it to their younger children. Those not interested in poetry would want to skip it. The reading skill level would also be under the level of young adults so they may not have any interest in reading it.

I enjoyed reading this book. I found the poems to be amusing and the artwork to be impressive. It was listed on the site under drama and poetry, but I probably would have placed it under being a children's book because of the nature of the poems. I liked how the poems are based on common nursery rhymes. I liked figuring out which nursery rhymes the poems went with. The words flow nicely and the poems kept my attention. I found it to be an easy read and finished it the same day I started to read it. I thought "Pox On You" was quite amusing. It provided the reader with an image of having small chickens on their head. I liked how many of the poems are able to create a visualization of what the author is saying. Overall, there was nothing to dislike about this book.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited and contains no errors. It is well-written and uniquely illustrated. I feel people will enjoy these whimsical poems. The updated adaptions of Mother Goose rhymes are silly but relevant. Children and their parents will enjoy reading this book. I would recommend reading it to others.

Get-A-Long Poems
View: on Bookshelves
Mac :techie-reference:
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I'm not really a lover of peoms but your review has made this book sound very interesting. Kudos
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

It must be a good poetic book. Thanks for the excellent review. It shades good light on the whole book. I loved it that you finished it the same day you started reading. It must another page-turner. Thanks. Looking forward tasting it’s beauty as I read it to my child.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

I'm a lover of poems and I'll love to read this someday. I enjoyed every bit of the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”