Review of Awakening

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Awakening

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Awakening" by Michael Trudeau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Trudeau's collection of poems called Awakening does not neatly fit into any category. His works have elements of narrative, lyrical, and epic poetry. Trudeau's journey of self-discovery is lacking an epic hero, but his poems certainly evoke the emotions found in lyrical offerings. The story unfolds with the narrator waking up in a forest with no idea how he arrived there. The 13 poems that follow could be considered stand-alone poems, but they connect to tell an epic story.

Each poem centers around a specific theme. The topics range from love and regret to sorrow and alienation. There are no set meters or rhyme. Some poems follow a specific pattern for a while, but then they deviate for emphasis, usually at the climax of the poem. Most of the titles are variations of the who, what, where, when, and why basic, information-gathering, question words.

My favorite poem is "Where is God?" The narrator complains that God hides when needed such as during earthquakes, fires, and wind storms. This poem has seven stanzas. All but the sixth stanza end with the word there. The last stanza reveals God's hiding place. The poem "What Was if Where It Is?" uses onomatopoeia, repetition, and rhyme, which gives it a unique feel, unlike the majority of the other poems. The repeated use of the line "lock the door" conveys an aura of confusion and fear.

My least favorite parts of this collection are the times that mention the desire for using guns to inflict harm. The poem "Who Am I?" is an example. The narrator states, "I wish I could destroy my grief. Perhaps the answer is at the end of the barrel. Perhaps I should make life brief." Regardless of the intention of the poet to be relatable, the words disturbed me.

The quality of the paperback edition was excellent. The cover is attractive, and the font is an appropriate size. There are no illustrations or artwork of any kind. For some reason, the titles of each of the poems are underlined at the top of the page instead of being inside quotation marks. There are no introduction, preface, or author pages. There are 81 total pages, but the text only appears on the right side of the book. All the pages on the left side are blank.

Researching the author revealed that he has been a book editor for 17 years, owns a publishing services studio, and has authored approximately 12 other books, including textbooks and other volumes of poetry. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I found no reason to deduct any stars. This book would appeal to individuals who are looking for answers to the meaning of life and those who are searching for a way out of depression. Some of the contents could cause a trigger reaction for certain readers, so caution is advised.

Awakening
View: on Bookshelves
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I love poetries, and I love the fact that you found no negative aspect in this book. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I love poetries, and I love the fact that you found no negative aspect in this book. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Chinemezu Okafor wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 17:36 I love poetries, and I love the fact that you found no negative aspect in this book. Thank you for this wonderful review.
I appreciate your comments.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I would not have suspected this was a poetry collection from the cover. Thank you for this review, it is an excellent advertisement for the book.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoyed reading your review and I look forward to reading the book. The author writing style is commendable and I like the fact speak on different aspects of life and existence. Welldone!!!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I enjoyed reading your review and I look forward to reading the book. The author writing style is commendable and I like the fact speak on different aspects of life and existence. Welldone!!!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 04:40 I enjoyed reading your review and I look forward to reading the book. The author writing style is commendable and I like the fact speak on different aspects of life and existence. Welldone!!!
I appreciate your comments.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, by the content of this review, I strongly believe that this book will be interesting to read
I will give it a try. Great review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Nwaka Chukwuemeka wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 09:09 Wow, by the content of this review, I strongly believe that this book will be interesting to read
I will give it a try. Great review.
Thank you for reading and commenting.
George M Kollie jr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by George M Kollie jr »

Wow, thanks for the review,I really love this review, and I love your favorite poem. Thank you for this lesson.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I have much to agree on in your review, such as when God hides during the most crucial moment in life. This book is eye-opening and I have to read it.
Poetic Justice
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thanks, Sarah1738. I appreciate your comments.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Wow! I've never seen a poem that can add together to tell an adventurous story. Its themes seem to be relatable as well. Great review.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This collection of poetry seems interesting. Now I am curious to know how the narrator landed in the forest. Thanks for your brilliant review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”