Review of Family Matters in Rhyme

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Family Matters in Rhyme

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Family Matters in Rhyme" by Johnnie Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people feel that there is something more that they should be doing; it doesn't matter how much money is earned or how much time is spent. There is always a part of you that feels that there is something extra you could do to add more meaning to your life. This was the case of Johnnie Walker, the author of Family Matters in Rhyme. After retirement, Johnnie Walker worked under contract in human resources for Delta. One day, after seeking out something else she should be doing, she finds herself writing poems.

I was in awe as I read through this book of over ninety poems. Each poem passed a beautiful message. Reading this book felt like a pleasantly adventurous journey. I enjoyed each page that I turned. The rhyme schemes were consistent. I could tell that each word used in this poem was carefully chosen. Many times, I had to go back to read the poems again; there were many reasons for this. Firstly, I couldn't imagine that the author wrote about a concept in a particular manner. The author wrote about a sexual relationship without being explicit, but no meaning was lost. Some poems did not have a happy ending, but I was happy to read these sad poems because they did not have a stinging effect.

It was incredibly amazing to see how scenarios were intensified or watered down with the writing style used in this book. Other times, I had to revisit a poem because I was stunned by the number of messages that were passed on a single page. Different themes were explored and sufficiently discussed in single pages of poems. It was intriguing to read concise but deeply expressed pages. The last reason I had to revisit the poems in this book was because of the arrangement of words. It was beautiful to see the words arranged in ways I never imagined. Every poem left me appreciating how excellently done this piece was.

I have nothing but praise for this book and its author. There was nothing I disliked about this book. This book was perfectly edited, as I did not encounter errors in it. I found this book inspirational. Johnnie wasn't originally a writer, but she found her path in writing. I was inspired to know that if we dig deep, we can find our satisfaction. Truly, the things we need do not always come in the ways we expect them. For all these positive reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of poetry. Because this book cuts across different themes and concepts, I believe it is suitable for readers who like to read about real-life issues.

Family Matters in Rhyme
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

The review makes it very tempting to read the book, but I'll pass by this one because I find it difficult to understand poetry. Great review!
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Writing poems with words that consistently rhyme is not a cakewalk, and I believe that there are lessons to learn from this book. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”