Review of Still, the Sky

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of Still, the Sky

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Still, the Sky" by Tom Pearson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Still, the Sky: Poems, Artifacts, Ecofacts, & Art by Tom Pearson is a book of poetry and art that uses metaphors and descriptive language to conjure personal memories for the reader. With these artistic devices, readers can experience the emotion expressed by the author and relate it to past personal experiences. The author uses characters from mythology in his poetry and weaves them through relatable emotions and experiences for readers. Even if readers are not familiar with the stories of Icarus or Daedalus, they will relate to the raw emotion and human experience conveyed by the author’s words. At its core, the significance of the relationship between Icarus and Daedalus is the relationship between father and son. The author explained that his work focuses on speculative mythology by updating them in a more relatable way for readers.

The poems cover topics indicative of the human experience, including grief, sorrow, and complex family relationships. In addition to the recurring mythology metaphors, there are references to classic fiction entwined with some of the poetry. For example, “Clew” incorporates some of the raw emotion of Moby Dick and the passionate pursuit associated with the whale. “Waning” alludes to the classic, Treasure Island, as it conveys the feeling of isolation. The author’s descriptions are vivid and immersive, yet they leave room for readers to make personal connections through his words. In addition to his poetry, the author has included photographs of installation art sprinkled throughout the book. The photographs include a series of apothecary drawers filled with various items relevant to the topics of the poetry.

The author’s poetry is very deep and meaningful to me. The topics covered included complex relationships and emotions that I could easily relate to my personal life. Although I was not familiar with every mythological reference in the poetry, the common theme of the human experience was relatable. The incorporation of speculative mythology to enhance and update historical mythology is brilliant. It takes the rigid concepts referenced in the myths and translates them in a modern way that will resonate with readers. People struggle with complex family relationships or experiences. This poetry establishes that these struggles are not isolated to individuals. They are struggles that many people can relate to at different levels. I believe that a wide range of readers can sympathize with the emotions conveyed in these poems in a very personal way. What I liked most about this book is the way the author conveys these complex concepts in such an honest and relatable way.

The installation art that is included in the book enhances the poetry. The use of the apothecary drawers creates a common theme sprinkled throughout the poetry. Each drawer is unique because it is filled with something different that relates to an idea or character from the poem. The title of each piece is provided on the page where it appears. A complete list of the installation art pieces is included in the book. The author noted that these pieces are also included in live gallery exhibits. There was nothing that I disliked about this book.

There were no errors in this book. It was exceptionally edited. I would highly recommend it to readers who enjoy poetry filled with emotion and depth. I would also recommend this book to readers with an interest in mythology. They would likely be familiar with the mythology referenced in this book and appreciate the speculative enhancements that the author has added to the stories. I give Still, the Sky: Poems, Artifacts, Ecofacts, & Art a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is deserving of a perfect score because it is engaging, relatable, and error-free.

Still, the Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I am not a big fan of poetry to be honest, but you did an awesome job with your review. Thank you!
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

It's quiet interesting, the art of weaving mythological characters into personal poetry. Good review!
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I love poems because they convey messages in an awesome and educative manner. Thank you for your review
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

For recommending this book readers who enjoy poetry filled with emotion and depth, I felt like you are talking about me. I love reading the kind of poems, the exercise my mind and leave me with a smile on my face.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I've been starting to like poetry recently after being apprehensive about it for so long. I appreciate the review and I think this will be a great addition to my poetry journey :)
it is what it is ....
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

This work of poetry seems to focus on speculative mythology, and I'd love to see what the author was able to couch. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”