Review of Poetry De - Mystified

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review of Poetry De - Mystified

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetry De - Mystified" by Sandra Yardley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry De - Mystified by Sandra Yardley is a study guidebook in which the author explains poetry in a simplistic and easy-to-understand process. Yardley intended it for students, especially those in high school preparing for their final exams. This 30-page long guide comprises poetry analysis and a comparison of poems, but also, there are particular questions and answers included. The author focuses on a couple of poems, and these are Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley, Futility, and Spring Offensive by Wilfred Owen.

Poetry is very subjective, and I’m glad that the author acknowledges that fact. It is also a literal form that many readers occasionally stay away from because they feel like it is too complicated for them to understand. In this study book, the author tries to dissuade readers from those notions and tries to get them familiar with the practice of poetry. She also explains how symbolism works. In my opinion, one of the most fascinating elements of poetry is metaphor. I like how personal poetry becomes through analogy. Even though I am not a novice when it comes to poetry, I found some informative things to learn in this book.

"One of the most important aspects of being able to analyze poetry is to visualize in one’s own mind exactly what the writer is trying to tell the reader."

I found nothing I disliked about this book. It is concise and purposeful. I found it very helpful, especially the section with questions and answers. I think all readers will gain some additional knowledge about poetry after reading this book. It is easy to follow, and students can easily study by following the author’s explanations.

Sadly, there were many spacing issues with this book that prevented me from giving it a perfect score. Other than that, I have no complaints. Therefore, I will rate this guide three out of four stars. I can’t rate it lower for all the previously mentioned reasons.

I would recommend this guide to students who want to improve their knowledge of poetry for their studies, but also to everyone else who seeks to improve their understanding of literature. As the author mentioned, it is especially beneficial for high school-aged students, so if you have someone who is struggling, it might be worth checking this guide out. Readers curious about giving poetry a more studious approach can read this guide too. Be aware that when I say it is a simplistic guidebook, I mean it. Don’t expect too much information or content.

Poetry De - Mystified
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ogechi Orlumeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-orlumeni.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogechi Orlumeni »

The book sounds very educative. I remember having problems understanding some poems during IGCSE prep. I wish I had access to this book at the time.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”