Review of An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Review of An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing

Post by Mindy Conahye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing" by James Roethlein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing is a collection of poetry written by James Roethlein. It is his second book of poetry. In this collection, James explores common themes in the world. It contains 79 poems on a variety of topics.

An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing has clever and intriguing lines of poetry. The poems are short and to the point. James Roethlein has a way with words that engages the reader's mind to think a little more about what is being said. He also leaves room for the reader to come up with his or her own conclusions. The poems are bound to capture each reader's attention.

I think this book would be best suited for older youth and adults. I feel younger youth wouldn't understand the context of the poems and some poems may not be appropriate for them. Those who enjoy poetry will like the book. They will find it worth reading. Individuals who aren't into poetry or references about God would probably want to skip this one.

I found the short poems in this book to be enjoyable and intriguing. I believe the poems are a narrative of the author's life. For me, it made the author feel more relatable. I liked how some of the poems included references to his faith and God. In one poem, At the Lord's Table, he writes about redemption being at the cost of the body and the blood. He connects this to the wine and wafers. He expresses the loss in a way of imagery the reader can understand. I also felt some of his poems were about heartbreak. In Angered Silence, it felt like he was discussing an argument in which one person became silent. The longer the silence, the greater the distance between the couple. I think many can understand this analogy. I enjoyed reading the author's perspective and being able to think on the meaning of the poems. The author did an excellent job with this book. I didn't find anything to dislike about it.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited and contains no errors. The author has a unique writing style that engages the reader and keeps their attention. The poems are short, but are powerful. They get the reader thinking about what the author is referring to. Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others. I would also be interested in reading others by this author.

An Extravagant Way of Saying Nothing
View: on Bookshelves
Mac :techie-reference:
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I like the unusual title, but I hadn't guessed it was a book of poetry.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

I'd have loved to add this to my shelf but I'm not into poetry. Thanks for the review.
Mary Ndirangu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-ndirangu-1.html
Latest Review: Schroedinger The Wonder Cat by Aaron Rosen

Post by Mary Ndirangu 1 »

I am very fond of poetry and I believe I would really enjoy reading this author's creation. Good review.
Nelgie Gullitiw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nelgie Gullitiw »

It is wonderful to be recommended and read most specially to the young and to those poem lovers. It entertaines to create views and understanding about the knowledge of the common themes of the the world. Well, it is enjoying to read as the titles are catvhy.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

I don't like poetry.but maybe this book can prove a bigger point of attraction.thanks for the review
HappyHadebe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HappyHadebe »

The topic of the book on its own makes you want to read the book because its gives you the interest of wanting to know "how to say nothing" 😀 like you can say something by not saying anything. It's amazing and interesting at the same time
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

The title of the book is somewhat strange. I’ll recommend this to poetry lovers.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”