Review of Long Poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Long Poems

Post by Dustin Stopher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Long Poems" by Jack Mellender.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack Mellender’s Long Poems is a collection of poems that are all at least a page in length. The poems are a variety of styles and cover a variety of topics, but a majority of them are autobiographical in nature. Interspersed with the poems detailing moments or elements of the author’s life are some that explore a concept or fictional circumstance, such as a man engaging in combat with a monster or the idea of mapping space. The title of the work is straightforward, but the contents are an eclectic grouping with wide appeal.

The variety of the poems can definitely be seen as a strength. The odd poem about an insane asylum is an interesting foray from the personal narratives present throughout the work. However, I found the most enjoyment in some of the author’s life stories. Childhood accounts or tales from the military are narratives that are relatable and genuine. There are some retellings of events with past love interests that I found touching additions to the library of poems. I also very much appreciated the actual prose; the language is finely picked and abundantly expressive, and the meter and rhyme schemes are tight and satisfying.

Unfortunately, the variety can also be seen as a weakness, and there are other shortcomings that must be addressed. While the occasional break from life-centric poems can be a nice respite, I did not enjoy them quite as much, and they feel out of place in a collection seemingly themed after biographical works. Theming in general is an issue. The author should title the work something that connotes that the content will be about his life, and there would be benefits to be had from omitting non-biographical entries entirely and perhaps releasing them in another volume of poetry. Formatting is additionally in need of some fixes. Poem fonts and page number placements are inconsistent. Spacing in the manuscript seems off-kilter in places. One poem is repeated in the work under a different title. I found several spelling and grammar mistakes. Long Poems would undoubtedly improve in quality after some professional editing.

Because the content of the poems are of a relatively high caliber, I would recommend this collection to poetry enthusiasts. Those who are fans of biographies but not necessarily poetry may also enjoy this work. Some of the content may be sensitive to some readers given that both profanity and sexual accounts are present in the work. Those turned off by mature content should stay away. The poems use elevated language and complex prose in places, so those who prefer simpler texts or who are less confident in their understanding of the English language might consider giving the work a pass.

Overall, I would give Long Poems 2 out of 4 stars. Although I enjoyed the poems and thought the prose was executed well, the work is bogged down by editorial mishaps and organizational issues. After some thorough revisions, I believe this text has the potential for a much higher rating. Until then, I will have to stick with my current judgment.

Long Poems
View: on Bookshelves
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

Poems are interesting dear. Therefore, it is still worth reading despite the rating. The editorial mishaps and organizational issues which you mention are probably the poet styles. Poets are not restricted with language rules. Going to check it out myself. Thank you for the review.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

It is discouraging that the book seems to be poorly edited. I would, however, love to read it because I love poems. Great review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”