Review of A Poem A Day: 55 poems

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Review of A Poem A Day: 55 poems

Post by Tori_J »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Poem A Day: 55 poems" by Mariama Z Cuyler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Poem a Day 2: 55 Poems by Mariama Z. Cuyler is a collection of 55 inspiring, emotional, and reassuring poems that preach hope and the unconditional love of YHWH. The collection is a cocktail of spiritually and secularly themed poems. She pours out her mind’s most profound thoughts of love, gratitude, reflections, flaws, sacrifices, wants, and redemption. The book’s structure takes the form of a freely written piece containing fragments and pieces of the author’s thoughts, where the poet, in a fit of episodic reminiscing and joy borne of total surrender to a higher authority, pens down her feelings.

In the opening poem piece, “Ruddy,” she reflects on the life of Isaac’s twins. In her portrayal of the story, her stance is one of hope in YHWH, even if one is not perfect. In “Shem, Ham, and Japheth,” she tells the story of a generation and a world on the brink of extinction due to their misdeeds. However, a family was saved for being distinct in morality, behavior, and obedience to YHWH’s sanctions. Thus, their lineage was preserved, and they continued to propagate on the face of the earth.

Each of these poems is written in a somewhat spontaneous manner but with a rich sense of story and moral lessons. Another poem, “My will be your will,” chronicles the protagonist’s deviation from the right path, followed by a tumble into an avalanche of subsequent misdeeds. Yet, she asks for help, and the light of grace shines upon her, redeeming her. This theme is similar to that of “Fall” and other poems in the collection, where she is redeemed by grace.

In “sweet nothings,” a sensual piece that deviates from the prominent theme, the ensuing lines pierce the soul with feelings of affection and raging emotions. It ascended toward a climactic high where tenseness approached its peak, giving you a sense of unending suspense.

The collection comprises 55 poems with similar recurring themes: trust in YHWH, YHWH’s love, human immaturity, gratitude, rejection, deception, redemption, sacrifice, free will, and desire. Each poem is connected in theme to the preceding poem and has a tone of admonition to it.

However, the book is rife with typographical errors. The paragraphs were poorly formatted, and the spacing was also an issue. Many times, it was hard to tell different poems apart because they were not properly separated. There was often no space between the preceding and the subsequent poems, and since the poem titles are indistinct, it was difficult to tell apart the ending of one from the beginning of the next.

The style was free, lazy, and carefree, making it seem like the poems were written just after achieving sobriety. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars because of these issues, and I recommend it to anyone in need of a faith boost and strengthening of trust in YHWH, especially people passing through difficulties and slumbering into depression. It will comfort you and help you keep hoping. It will also make you understand that no one is beyond redemption.

A Poem A Day: 55 poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

The themes of the said 55 poems endear me to this book. I'll love to see check them out as I am a poetry enthusiast. You've done a great job with this review. Well done
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

The plot is interesting, but I’m not a fan of poems so I’ll pass. A great review!
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

I'm not a fan of poetry so I'll sit this one out. I'm glad that despite the mention negatives, you somehow found some of the poems informative. Thanks for an honest review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I’ve never liked poetry, so I’ll sit this one out. But your review is very easy to understand. Great job!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”