Review of A Song on the Road Home

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of A Song on the Road Home

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Song on the Road Home" by H.N. Lawrence.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Song on the Road Home is a delightfully eclectic poetry collection penned by H.N. Lawrence. In the book’s introduction, the author describes a time of loss that set her "on a course of spiritual seeking,” and her poignant poems demonstrate this season of self-discovery. The collection will inspire readers drawn to Lawrence's love of nature, passion for artistic expression, and reflective style.

The flawlessly edited book is 113 pages. Lawrence writes in free verse and possesses an eloquent writing style that seems purposefully uncomplicated without the slightest hint of rambling. Her "exploration of many spiritual modalities" is reflected in her poetry which often refers to the seemingly sacred, including Divine, One, and Soul. Her spiritual poems traverse such themes as peace, nature, love, sorrow, bliss, intimacy, acceptance, and self-exploration.

Lawrence creatively expresses her appreciation of nature's beauty in her poetry. Although she refers to a series of painful losses involving her parents, friends, and beloved animals as the catalyst for the collection, her overall tone conveys a desire to work through her emotions rather than dwell on sadness; this lends a spirit of resiliency to the book that I especially like. The following is a stanza from "Petal":

"Let me bloom forever,
Blazing glory of dissolving
Ashes floating, falling
New flower being born."

"Your Feet" is another one of my favorites:

"Created by Your Hand
This life is nothing
But for Your Grace."

While I appreciate poetry as a genre, it can be quite disappointing to select a book that relies on "creative expression" as an excuse to present sloppy editing or none at all. Sadly, I have reviewed many poetry books that fall into one of these categories, so it is a breath of fresh air to read a lovely collection that conveys heartfelt emotion without sacrificing a professional presentation. Additionally, Lawrence proves that consistently punctuated poetry doesn't necessarily interfere with its meter or flow. There honestly isn't anything I disliked about this book; I didn't note a single error, nor can I highlight any suggestions for improvement.

Therefore, I rate A Song on the Road Home 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the evocative collection to poetry fans and readers who appreciate meditation. Since it contains no profanity or other content that could be considered objectionable, the book is suitable for young teens who enjoy spiritual poetry. However, the contemplative collection will also engage readers with a more sophisticated taste.

A Song on the Road Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Am already drawn to Lawrence's love of nature, passion for artistic expression, and reflective style.Great review. I believe she is an interesting person to be with.
Joesh Mncube
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading: A Soldier's Book of Poems
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joesh Mncube »

I rate A Song on the Road Home 4 out of 4, it's very especially that the writer takes an opportunity to expression her emotions on writing. It's a great novel indeed.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

The writer did well in expressing her emotions in the book. What an interesting review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

This is an interesting review. It's so detainee and informative. Thanks, but I'll pass on this.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I think I will be able to connect to the author’s passion for nature the most. Thanks for the detailed, informative review!
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

I am not a lover of poems or poetry. But this book is really uplifting
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The book comes free, so there's no excuse not to try it for size. Besides, "love of nature, passion for artistic expression, and reflective style" speak to the poet in me. The title also sings to me.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I understand Song on the Road Home by H.N. Lawrence is a collection of peoms that marked the time of loss and seeking of spiritual healing in the life of the author. I don't normally enjoy peoms so I am passing this one along.
FLbookie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by FLbookie »

Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive review. I'm giving it a try based both on your review and the fact that it is free - the best of both worlds.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Very interesting and thorough review with a lot of insight. I am not a big fan on poetry, as I enjoy a suspenseful book more, but the poems and emotions drawn out by them, is definitely inspiring. Well done on #BOTD and an amazing review!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

From the introduction of this collection of poetry, I understand that the author went through a period of great loss, but from that she has found something quite beautiful. A free style form of poetry is not my favorite, but these were beautifully expressed and heartfelt. I particularly enjoyed Return and Heart's Blossom. Thanks for an excellent review on this book.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This collection of poetry seems to highlight the author's love of nature. These spiritual poems address appealing themes such as peace, nature, love, sadness, joy, intimacy, acceptance, and self-exploration. I find the simple eloquent style of writing and its usefulness for meditation attractive.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

Today's book of the day is a collection of some spiritual poems that traverse such themes as peace, nature, love, sorrow, bliss, intimacy, acceptance, and self-exploration. Congrats to the author on being the #BOTD!
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I love how the author expresses her love for nature. am already in love with the book, because it's free-flowing. great review .

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”