Review of A Song on the Road Home

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of A Song on the Road Home

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Song on the Road Home" by H.N. Lawrence.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Song on the Road Home is a delightfully eclectic poetry collection penned by H.N. Lawrence. In the book’s introduction, the author describes a time of loss that set her "on a course of spiritual seeking,” and her poignant poems demonstrate this season of self-discovery. The collection will inspire readers drawn to Lawrence's love of nature, passion for artistic expression, and reflective style.

The flawlessly edited book is 113 pages. Lawrence writes in free verse and possesses an eloquent writing style that seems purposefully uncomplicated without the slightest hint of rambling. Her "exploration of many spiritual modalities" is reflected in her poetry which often refers to the seemingly sacred, including Divine, One, and Soul. Her spiritual poems traverse such themes as peace, nature, love, sorrow, bliss, intimacy, acceptance, and self-exploration.

Lawrence creatively expresses her appreciation of nature's beauty in her poetry. Although she refers to a series of painful losses involving her parents, friends, and beloved animals as the catalyst for the collection, her overall tone conveys a desire to work through her emotions rather than dwell on sadness; this lends a spirit of resiliency to the book that I especially like. The following is a stanza from "Petal":

"Let me bloom forever,
Blazing glory of dissolving
Ashes floating, falling
New flower being born."

"Your Feet" is another one of my favorites:

"Created by Your Hand
This life is nothing
But for Your Grace."

While I appreciate poetry as a genre, it can be quite disappointing to select a book that relies on "creative expression" as an excuse to present sloppy editing or none at all. Sadly, I have reviewed many poetry books that fall into one of these categories, so it is a breath of fresh air to read a lovely collection that conveys heartfelt emotion without sacrificing a professional presentation. Additionally, Lawrence proves that consistently punctuated poetry doesn't necessarily interfere with its meter or flow. There honestly isn't anything I disliked about this book; I didn't note a single error, nor can I highlight any suggestions for improvement.

Therefore, I rate A Song on the Road Home 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the evocative collection to poetry fans and readers who appreciate meditation. Since it contains no profanity or other content that could be considered objectionable, the book is suitable for young teens who enjoy spiritual poetry. However, the contemplative collection will also engage readers with a more sophisticated taste.

A Song on the Road Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Seeing with Fresh Eyes by John W. Bullock

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

Am already drawn to Lawrence's love of nature, passion for artistic expression, and reflective style.Great review. I believe she is an interesting person to be with.
Joesh Mncube
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading: A Soldier's Book of Poems
Bookshelf Size: 2
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Joesh Mncube »

I rate A Song on the Road Home 4 out of 4, it's very especially that the writer takes an opportunity to expression her emotions on writing. It's a great novel indeed.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ifesi »

The writer did well in expressing her emotions in the book. What an interesting review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

This is an interesting review. It's so detainee and informative. Thanks, but I'll pass on this.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”