Review of Catnip of Life

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of Catnip of Life

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catnip of Life" by Sharla Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Catnip of Life by Sharla Lee is a book of poetry. These poems are written lyrically and reflect the author’s visions of the natural world and its beauty. Each poem is dedicated to a natural theme and takes readers on a journey of vivid discovery.

I loved the welcome page of this book. It felt like I was being invited into an experience. I was not disappointed. As I turned the pages, they continued to reveal an understanding of many different emotions and thoughts, each one designed to communicate to the reader something deeper than rhyme or stanza.

I liked the balance and timing of the formatting in this book. The quotes that precede poems, and the thoughts that inspire them, add even more depth to this already deep volume. I also liked the sections that intersperse the poetry and provide dedicated pages for the reader to record personal thoughts. This format allows the reader to experience the emotion and imagery in a tangible way.

The questions scattered throughout this book offer food for thought to the reader. Often, they ask a simple question. The answers come to the reader instantly, and they deliver a powerful message. This aspect of the book makes it more than just about reading. It makes the book interactive. It brings the thoughts to life and causes one to look for the beauty in life.

I appreciate the focus on Mother Nature that appears throughout this book’s narrative. The sweetly-gentle ways that the poetry moves from one season or subject to the next carry the readers on a glide through thought and reflection. This author’s writing style captures the essence of natural scenery and has a pleasing meditative quality.

The invitation repeated throughout this work to step outside and look around is what I like best about it. So many people in the world forget to step outside or even look out a window. They miss a lot. It shows in our attitudes and inner moods. It even impacts our health in the long run.

I found no negatives to list for this volume of poetry. It is exceptionally well edited and free of errors. I will return to this book again and again. For these reasons, I am happy to rate it with 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal most to lovers of poetic verse. I recommend it to readers who have never read poetry before. This book is a great place to begin learning to love poetry.

Catnip of Life
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This sounds like a lovely book and I likr that you pointed out how it invites the participation of the reader. I also love the title of the book. Good review!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Lovers of poetry should enjoy reading this. Great review.
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

Am not a fun of poetry, but you did recommend it for people who want to love poetry so may try to read the book. Great review
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I’m not really such a poetry fan so I’ll pass on this one. Poetry lovers should however jump on it
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

In-depth, insightful review. I love the content of this poetic piece, especially its preoccupation on mother nature.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Patty Allread wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 12:17 This sounds like a lovely book and I likr that you pointed out how it invites the participation of the reader. I also love the title of the book. Good review!
I too like books that are engaging. Worth reading.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

This review is thorough. It highlights what readers are to expect from the book.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

Raymond N wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 10:53 Lovers of poetry should enjoy reading this. Great review.
No doubt. And it will certainly make an interesting read.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

It is rare to find poetry books that are well-edited, devoid of errors. I shall check this book out; thanks for the recommendation.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80147
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is drama n' poetry by sharla lee shares a collections of poetry and verses that brings appreciation, reflecting on our daily lives , the purpose of living in the present life without any anticipation for the future ,she shares how we need to interact between life and nature, i really enjoyed reading this book it gave me the reason to fall in love with nature around me , the author uses unique style to share the poetry making the book a page turner ,i will highly recommend ,it was well written and reviewed
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Sounds like a great book for lovers of poetry, if the reviewer will read it again and again. The theme of Mother Nature always is a rich one to put emotions into words through poetry.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Looks like this is a good choice for those who enjoy poems of natural themes.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This book of poetry that promotes reflection and food for thought will be a relaxing read while sitting outside enjoying the nature around me. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I love reading short poems. I would recommend this book to a friend who sees reading poetry books as a therapeutic experience. Thanks for this review. Congratulations to the author on winning BOTD.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”