Review of Speaks for Itself

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Review of Speaks for Itself

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Speaks for Itself" by Jeffrey Paul Bailey..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Any literary work, including poetry, aims to convey a specific feeling or inkling to the readers. Because there is no standard structure, poems take on a life of their own, each with its distinct timbre, aroma, and flavor. Using language to allow readers to tell their own stories is what makes this book come to life. In a manner similar to the technique used by Jeffrey Paul Bailey in this book, he used a fascinating means to illustrate the idea that we are more than the sum of our experiences. In each poem, you'll find a variety of themes and sentiments that are sure to bring out the best in you. In most cases, they are a collection of countless moments that the author meticulously captures and cleverly expresses. 

In Speaks for Itself, there are 64 poems about the many aspects of life. It's clear that the author puts a lot of time and attention into each masterpiece that he creates, making sure that it will take you to a distinct place and time. My favorite one is entitled Mama Said Make Friends. This poem's message is about squandered opportunities that should have been taken. I can relate to the mood of this poem, having remorse for missing out on potential opportunities. Growing up as an introvert, I was unable to form meaningful relationships with others, which led to a regretful upbringing. As I read silently, I find myself unable to contain my emotions as each one bursts through my heart and soul, bringing me to tears, joy, pleasure, and nostalgia. You'll be able to identify with most of the book's content as it is poignant. 

Some poetry has lines and verses that are difficult to understand and retain. Every poem I can't understand is repeated many times in my head. The best thing about this book is that I've been so invested in reading each of the masterpieces that the author supplied that this gut fuels my desire to decipher every provision he outlined. To understand the poem's primary topic, I had to look up several unfamiliar words and phrases on Google, as well as check for context clues about the poem's core theme. 

You'll be able to come up with a variety of interpretations after reading this book. It's impossible to overstate the brilliance of Jeffrey Paul Bailey's creative process, and his ability to produce exquisite poetry with emotionally resonant themes is outstanding. I, therefore, gave it 4 out of 4 stars. On a larger scale, this book has been so meticulously edited that I see no mistakes in it.

Each poem in this book has been interpreted artistically, and poetry enthusiasts will undoubtedly enjoy it. Those looking for inspiration and motivation in a specific subject area will also find this book helpful.

Speaks for Itself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Sounds great, though I'm not a huge fan. Thank you for the honest feedback.
Dorine Jelagat
Currently Reading: Mama's Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Dorine Jelagat »

Author's dedication to ensure that we are carried over to a distinct place and time amazes me. Great review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I’m sure this book is interesting, your review is insightful. I just don’t think I will enjoy reading a book with poems.
Obadiah obiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Obadiah obiri »

Sounds to be one of the greatest books ever. Jeffrey Paul Bailey must be a really orgabized linguist who know how to provision his words to make meaning in literature.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The review was informative with illustrations of some of the poems in the book especially to researchers, students or poetry lovers. Kudos.
Chela Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chela-mercy.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Chela Mercy »

This review has made me feel like reading all the 64 poems
Gloryaramide
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gloryaramide »

The review is so attractive and it makes me feel like all the poems

Wow, this is one great book
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I really liked reading your review! Thank you for mentioning the ups and downs of the story, as well as the fact that you had to google a few things here and there due to the complexities of the information you were given. However, due to the necessity to do a lot of research regarding the concepts discussed, I am not sure as to whether I will properly go through and read this book or not. Perhaps it will be something I finish over the course of a few months in the sense that I might read one or two poems every couple of days.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”