Review of Fragments

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Fragments

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fragments" by Bruce K. Berger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fragments by Bruce K. Berger is an assortment of poems about the Vietnam War. It talks about the soldiers who participated in this war and the adverse effects it had on them. It deals with the brutality of war and the scars it left on the returning soldiers. It contains 34 poems that deal with the author's experience in Vietnam as well as those of other veterans. The author draws on his experience as the Next-of-Kin Editor in Vietnam. In this capacity, he had to inform families of the death of their loved ones, and this affected him deeply. He unpacks his feelings on the Vietnam War and the death and destruction he witnessed through these poems.

I liked how candid the author was about the effects of war. He talks about the death of his comrades and the long-lasting damage that Agent Orange did to the local population, as well as the soldiers in the war. He also goes into detail about the extreme feelings and reactions that the Vietnam War evoked in people. The plight of the soldiers is laid bare for all to see and sympathize with.

I was amazed at how emotional the poems were. One particular poem that touched me was called A Righteous Lie. It brought tears to my eyes because it revealed the secondary casualties of war. Namely, those left behind such as parents, spouses, children, and siblings. This poem brought to the fore a premise we all hold dear that children should not die before their parents. As someone who has only heard about the Vietnam War in documentaries, it made me empathize with those who had to live through it.

The illustrations, paintings, and pictures in the book were beautiful. These illustrations were provided by members of the Providence Art Club in Rhode Island. Some are haunting in their beauty. The one that struck me the most was titled “Under the Weight of Eternal Grace”. It depicts an old man who seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. Many of the veterans who participated in the Vietnam War are either dead or old. This painting touched me as it made me picture the Vietnam veterans who are still alive. It made me wonder about their lives and how they are coping with the damage the Vietnam War caused them.

I did not find anything to dislike in this book. It was very moving and gave me a glimpse of what the Vietnam War was like for those who lived through it. I found no mistakes in this book, which indicates that it was well edited. I would highly recommend it to people who are interested in the Vietnam War and the effects it had on the soldiers. I would also recommend it to those interested in history because it is an account of the war by someone who experienced it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is an emotional account of a tragic war that should not be forgotten.

Fragments
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”