Review of Secret kisses salty tears

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Secret kisses salty tears

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secret kisses salty tears" by Jason S. Nino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Secret Kisses Salty Tears is a book that speaks to anyone struggling with love, going through a breakup, or struggling with the societal definition of a relationship. The poems intimately describe the magical moments when two hearts meet, the delicate process of falling in love, and the joys of being in love. They further describe the vulnerabilities and immense sorrows that come with unrequited love and breakups. For instance, the author writes, ‘I think of him, but I don’t know him. Likely, he has changed, as have I. I need to move on. The future is here. The past has died.’

As the poems progress, the topics shift to trauma and healing a wounded heart. They focus on the distrust that results from a broken heart and the emotional damage that follows. How does one move on? How does one love and trust again? Additionally, there is the question of serenity versus solitude. Is it okay to choose peace over a turbulent relationship? Will society view you as strange or faulty when you choose to spend your life alone? What about you? Do you attach your worth to having a partner? The author postulates, ‘Is solitude a blessing? Is it better to be alone than with someone and risk anger and hostility?’

The poems have a unique descriptive quality to them. Jason S. Nino exhaustively explains each scene in every poem, allowing one to visualize and experience each word. Additionally, the characters come to life, including their distinct physical features like brown eyes, scent, physique, and personality quirks. There are also themed and colored photographs at various intervals in the book that breaks the poetry collection. Jason uses stanzas for the poems and employs repetition to reinforce the points and rhetorical questions that induce self-reflection. There is also the use of rhyming words and metaphors, which makes for an entertaining reading experience.

My favorite aspect of the book is how Jason highlights various societal stereotypes and expectations. Instead of embracing diversity, some frown upon and forbid it. Interreligious, interracial, and same-sex love is still a debate in our circles, making life difficult for those in such types of relationships. There is nothing to dislike about the read; every poem is unique and captivating. Some use veiled references, while others are direct and purposeful. I gladly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I found only one minor grammatical error, evidence of the book’s excellent editing. The language used is simple but with some poetic vocabulary that will need you to look for a dictionary. Examples of such words include loquacious and mendacious. The book also has in-depth descriptions of intimacy and sexual longing; however, they are tasteful and poetic. Secret Kisses Salty Tears is a poetry collection that will have you evaluate your stand on relationships and how much of an influence your circle is on your love life. It also prompts one to heal first and have the courage to move on when things are not right. I recommend the book to those in committed relationships, long-distance lovers, the forbidden ones, and to those nursing broken hearts.

Secret kisses salty tears
View: on Bookshelves
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

My gf broke up with me some time ago and I still feel the need for someone in my life. I guess this book will help me with it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Tamuno Shaddai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tamuno Shaddai »

This is exactly what I need to read to handle my relationship,
Dominic B
Currently Reading:

Post by Dominic B »

I'm no fan of love, but who knows, this book might change my mind of thinking of love and maybe will want me to try loving someone again, because true lovers never have endings...but we must remember its not love that make you cry or hurt you, but the person you are with. This book has 4 out of 4 stars, so there's a big change that i will change my mind or want to be loved or inlove
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book really promised an enjoyable reading experience. Though, I'm not a fan poem books. Thanks for the comprehensive analysis of this book.
Signature of Grace.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The book really promised an enjoyable reading experience. Though, I'm not a fan poem books. Thanks for the comprehensive analysis of this book.
Signature of Grace.
Donkor2112

Post by Donkor2112 »

Great idea to overcome your problems in your relationship.
Last edited by Donkor2112 on 21 Nov 2021, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This book sounds quite thought-provoking. I like the way the themes seem to progress with the progression of the poems, as described by the reviewer. Poems on the different stages and forms of love should appeal to almost everyone.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Ngway Ntatamala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ngway Ntatamala »

Great review. I love it, it sounds like a good book to read plus me too in my life, I am experiencing difficulties when it comes to relationships. Thank you for the review, I will definitely read the book.
komal_a30

Post by komal_a30 »

I'm fond of poetry this book hit me so hard that i love every bit of it.The essence and realization of Love conquers all is so fancy.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm currently not struggling with love but I know people who are. I'll recommend this book to them. Thank you for the review

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”