Review of The White Colossus

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Aftermath Of The King by Robert Murray
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of The White Colossus

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Colossus" by Enne Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The White Colossus by Enne Baker is a collection of twenty poems that explore various themes like death, passion, love, society life, despair, spirituality, amongst others. The poems in this title open a window into the author's creative and intriguing mind, making his work powerful and also one that would invoke the reader's emotions.

One of my favorite poems in the book, 'I Am Horizontal,' is a testament to the poet's excellent use of symbolism to make his poems captivating. In it, the poet writes, "The trees and branches had another idea—they supported my death, and I became horizontal. I am of better use when I am in this position." In another poem titled 'NASA,' the poet talked about freedom and captured my heart with the line, "When all I want is space, to do backflips and float aimlessly, and not be held down by your burdened gravity." Isn't that captivating?

I love poems that challenge my ability to decipher their non-literal meanings. And those in this book didn't disappoint. To get the best out of this publication, I advise that you read the poems aloud. This poet is one to watch out for, as this work is his first collection. What I enjoyed most about the book is the poet's excellent use of figures of speech like metaphor and simile to breathe life into the words in his poems. I liked how he invoked my sense of imagination and made me feel like his words were mine.

While I enjoyed deciphering the meanings of the poems in this book, what I disliked about this publication was that, for me, some of the poems were indecipherable. I struggled to understand some of the pieces even after rereading them severally. One of such poems is 'Homo Lazarus.' I would love to find someone in this club who can explain the poem to me. They say that two people can read the same poem and come up with different interpretations, so I am also looking forward to discussing the poems in this book with prospective readers.

In conclusion, I enjoyed most of the poems in this book and found them intriguing and creative. Nevertheless, The White Colossus gets three out of four stars from me due to the qualm I already mentioned. The book's editing is exceptional because I didn't find even a single typo throughout my read. I highly recommend this publication to lovers of poems with captivating figurative expressions, especially those about human nature and a touch of spirituality.

The White Colossus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I'm not much into poems but this book seems like it will have something special for me as well. I always like a book with different themes so maybe this one will be a good choice for me. Thanks for the amazing review.
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by GideonWrites Review »

This seems captivating to me because of its relatable characteristic that gives sense of imagination to a reader. Your review is presented with much honesty. Good one
Signature of Grace.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Fransisca Ekezie
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fransisca-ekezie.html
Latest Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Fransisca Ekezie »

I like the captivating name of the book " white Colossus" Although I'm not a fan but I think the book will actually be worth it, Thanks for the review.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susan Gibbs »

The title drew me in as I was not sure what to expect. The range of the poem's themes sounds interesting, but it sounds like some of the poems are not easy to understand, so that does deter me a bit from choosing this book. I like figures of speech as they add to the richness of literary work, so perhaps it is worth trying this book to read those.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”