Review of A Fate Unwound Too Soon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of A Fate Unwound Too Soon

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Fate Unwound Too Soon" by anna-karen sorensen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Fate Unwound Too Soon is a collection of poetry by Anna-Karen Sorensen. The author’s experience as a caretaker of premature babies inspired her to write poems that dealt with grief and loss. She wrote poems from the perspective of a grieving mother, and she also shared some personal sentiments towards the premature babies she took care of.

The book opens with the author’s philosophical perspective about dealing with newborn babies and the lessons people learn from it. The author’s introspection was admirable. Although it was a little difficult to read, I enjoyed reading through her meaningful thought processes. Another feature of the book that was worth mentioning was the photographs. The inclusion of these photographs inside the book made the poems feel more raw and heartfelt.

This book of poetry was the best I’ve read in a while. Although the topic wasn’t the one I typically lean towards, I greatly enjoyed the author’s poetry. Sorensen wrote in free verse. She incorporates rhymes in every verse, making each poem sound like a melody. These poems were relatively short, but each one felt delicately crafted. I also like the metaphors. They were woven with emotions that will connect and stay with you even as you leave their premises. The poems primarily deal with the grief of a parent after losing a baby, but some are also about love and healing. Some poems tell sentiments from the perspective of the mother herself and others from the perspective of a compassionate outsider.

These poems were so sorrowful and poignant that even those who have never had a child would feel the pain. There’s the sadness one would feel after giving birth to a child and losing him right before you even build a memory together. There were a lot of great poems, but "Free Me From Memory" was one of the most memorable ones. I think this was also my favorite. The persona was begging the deceased to visit again and fill the void his death had left behind.

Since I can’t find anything to dislike about this book, I’m giving it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author excellently conveyed the most tender emotions, and I felt it in all of her poems. The way the book was presented was also admirable, as the poems were neatly organized. I also didn’t find any errors, so this must be professionally edited. People who like moving and poignant pieces will enjoy this collection. Those who like poems that explore the mystery of life and death will also marvel at this book.

A Fate Unwound Too Soon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The author's emotive poems and flawless presentation make this collection exceptional.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”