Review of Poetically Conscious

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Poetically Conscious

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetically Conscious" by AR Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetically Conscious is a collection of eighty-nine poems written by AR Brown. In these lyrics, the reader views the world through the eyes of a shy, loving, mostly optimistic, thankful human being.

This thirty-something poet shares her thoughts on aspects of her life that are like many her age: mourning the loss of her grandmother, an important figure in her childhood, dealing with the anxiety of social distancing during a pandemic, feeling vulnerable and in love, and wondering about the future. She weighs the tenuous nature of being an adult while learning how to become an adult.

I enjoyed the ageless words of encouragement and hope the author offered in this read. Two entries emerged as my favorites. “Heavy Heart” conveys her empathy for a person feeling unwanted, hated, and broken-hearted. She senses their sadness and anger. She then offers a prayer that this person would heal by recognizing the convergence of beauty and ugliness in life that serves to help one grow. Through her words, I could sense the authenticity that can only come from someone who has experienced that very thing. “Song 2Sing” is a short poem that simply gives the reader permission to belt their song, their particular song to sing in life, at the top of their lungs. It made me smile and almost sing.

Brown seamlessly shares all facets of her being, including her Christian faith, lesbian lifestyle, experiences with racism as an African American, recreational “weed” consumption, and addiction issues of her friends. They are as much a fabric of her poetry as they are of her life.

As with any collection of work, I did not connect with every poem, but I enjoyed the poet’s resiliency and respect for life present in each verse. The only negative aspect was that I found over ten grammatical errors; therefore, I must deduct a star from my rating. The errors were mainly issues with verb form, and they did not affect my enjoyment of this work. Brown has a free-flowing style that invites the reader to inhale as many words as possible in one breath, digest them, and repeat the process. The verb errors were not noticeable because they did not affect the essence of the meaning inhaled.

I rate Poetically Conscious 3 out of 4 stars, deducting 1 star for the grammatical errors mentioned previously. The read contains no erotic content and minimal profanity. The topics in this collection reflect the concerns of early adulthood and would resonate best with readers 20 to 40 years old. However, poetry lovers of any age would appreciate the author’s reflections on universal struggles.

Poetically Conscious
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I was just thinking that eighty-nine poems would definitely be enough to cover all aspects of one's life (or at least the parts that matter most). I love how poems perfectly portray thoughts and feelings, and how emotions are able to transfer to the reader. I would love to read this collection someday. Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

C Janet wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 15:18 I was just thinking that eighty-nine poems would definitely be enough to cover all aspects of one's life (or at least the parts that matter most). I love how poems perfectly portray thoughts and feelings, and how emotions are able to transfer to the reader. I would love to read this collection someday. Thanks for the wonderful review!
I am in awe of how poets convey so much in so few words. They really do connect with our emotions. Thank you for stopping by, C Janet! I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
Starilanka Glowy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starilanka-glowy.html
Latest Review: Stupid Divorce by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Starilanka Glowy »

Can I just say the book cover is great? I'm glad to know that the errors didn't affect your reading. Good job on the review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Starilanka Glowy wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 03:25 Can I just say the book cover is great? I'm glad to know that the errors didn't affect your reading. Good job on the review.
We share the same thought. The book cover is so great. It was artistically designed, how much more is the content right? The reviewer did a great job.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Starilanka Glowy wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 03:25 Can I just say the book cover is great? I'm glad to know that the errors didn't affect your reading. Good job on the review.
The cover is what kept bringing me back to this book. I could so identify with the vibe—it reminded me of my thirties in California.

Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This seems an amazing poetry book. Titles like "heavy heart" and "song2sing" itself is enough to appeal me and bring up all my emotions. Thanks for the great recommendation.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 22:47 This seems an amazing poetry book. Titles like "heavy heart" and "song2sing" itself is enough to appeal me and bring up all my emotions. Thanks for the great recommendation.
I enjoy poetry collections—all kinds of anthologies, actually. It’s wonderful to connect with pieces of the compilation. I hope you have the chance to check out this book.
Thank you for your comment!
Rosa Parks
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Many people have chosen to reflect on these uncertain times by writing poetry. I'm glad that you enjoyed this collection by a young woman eager to share her experiences. Hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the errors.

Thank you for your detailed review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds like a lovely book. I enjoy peotry and I think this may be one I need to read. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 01:41 Many people have chosen to reflect on these uncertain times by writing poetry. I'm glad that you enjoyed this collection by a young woman eager to share her experiences. Hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the errors.

Thank you for your detailed review.
:techie-reference:
Yes, I think many artists have used this as a time for reflection and creativity.
Thank you for stopping by, Josephe-Anne. I appreciate your comment and your visit.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Niens Now wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 14:59 Sounds like a lovely book. I enjoy peotry and I think this may be one I need to read. Thanks for a great review.
I hope you decide to check it out. Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Pain and loss can inspire great poems. I am glad to discover that the author is an optimistic soul! Thank you for your inspiring work!
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 04:03 Pain and loss can inspire great poems. I am glad to discover that the author is an optimistic soul! Thank you for your inspiring work!
Yes, the author is an empathetic soul as well.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your kind comment!
Rosa Parks
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Eighty-nine poems in a book mean that the author has put a lot of effort into this book. Though I am not a huge fan of poetry, some of the poems sound fantastic. Thank you for an insightful and amazing review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”