Review of You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review of You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi" by Jalal al-Din Rumi (Author), Ahmad Alandalucy (Author, Editor, Translator).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You, Nature, and a Book with Words of Rumi is a poetry book by Jalal al-Din Rumi and edited and translated by Ahmad Alandalucy. The verses in the book came from the 13th-century works titled the Masnavi and the Kulliyat-e Shams by Rumi, who was a famous Persian poet, Sufi mystic, and Islam scholar. Rumi's poems have transcended time and geography due to their profound mystical and spiritual meanings.

Alandalucy, a pharmacist, used to believe only in the healing power of conventional medicine. Alandalucy's belief system changed during a walk near the coast in which he felt close to the beauty of the sunshine, the sand, and the sea waves. He felt love and peace and had the idea of putting together Rumi's poems about nature in a book. He divided the poems into thematic sections related to the natural world. Examples are light, darkness, universe, rain, river, cave, spring, and fall.

As a spiritual rather than religious person fond of the outdoors, I chose this book to experience Rumi's beautiful words about nature. The minimalistic cover and the book's title, which implies a connection between the reader and nature, also caught my attention. Light, Universe, and River are my favorite sections of the book. "The cave that you fear to step inside may hold the light that you seek," reminds me that sometimes we fear leaping forward to a new path in life. "Shine as if the entire universe is yours," is beautiful advice I apply to my life, as I think there is nothing more pitiful than those who live in the shadows. "When you do things from your soul, you feel a river flowing inside of you, a gladness," means that one feels satisfied after doing the best one can do at any task or role.

There is no doubt that this book provides the reader with a deep spiritual and mystical experience. However, the numerous repetition of verses is distracting and disappointing, even more considering Rumi's vast amount of work. The Masnavi alone has about 25,000 verses. For example, the verse on page 22 is the same verse that appears on pages 39 and 68. Besides that, the book has formatting issues in the introduction and conclusion.

I rate You, Nature, and a Book with Words of Rumi, edited and translated by Ahmad Alandalucy, 3 out of 4 stars because it is a pleasant read for making a spiritual connection with the natural world. I deducted a star due to the repetition of verses and formatting issues. Since Rumi's poetic words are praised worldwide, people from all religions can enjoy this book. I recommended it to readers who enjoy books about spirituality, nature, and mysticism. Poetry and New Age fans would like it, too.

You, nature, and a book with words of Rumi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Nomvuyo Dlamini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomvuyo-dlamini.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by Nomvuyo Dlamini »

Thank you for the great review, I feel like I would enjoy this
Gabriella Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-smith.html
Latest Review: Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser)

Post by Gabriella Smith »

You've convinced me. Even just reading this review makes me feel calm and I'm really curious about the pull poems. Thank you for a great review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

The poems seems very archaic. But I know they would be timeless.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

Your review is quite informative and also honest. I love poetry, but the many verses would be a put off for me.
Roserla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roserla »

Initially, the content of the book seems interesting, prompting me to explore all its secrets and enjoy its ideas.
Last edited by Roserla on 17 Sep 2021, 06:59, edited 2 times in total.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I have had read other works of rumi and I think I'm pretty much ready to explore this one too. Thanks for the review.
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

Great review ! I am a big fan of Rumi and love books about spiritual healing. This one will be on my list to read.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I enjoyed reading your review. I would love to hear opinions from someone who could compare the translated poems with original ones; whether it delivers a similar tone and peculiar flavor of Persian poetry.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love poetic books, am definitely reading this book, thanks for the honest review.
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

This book speak about poems in the past , the author's show many famous ports who save their profond mystical and spiritual meanings. Runi's poems are famous and many readers are attractive to repeat these beautiful speech in love and peace. We find in the book how readers respect the nature and all religions. Readers find all spiritual and mystical experience. We can say that readers give many importance in poems &art because the mind of human become quiet and nice imagination of spirituality , nature and mysticism. "Poem is an art to help readers for long thinking, discovering something special this planète".
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

To be honest, I'd need to read this book so as to be able to grasp the contents of this book. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”