Review of River of Stars

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of River of Stars

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "River of Stars" by William K. Leutz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our interactions with people, objects, or nature most of the time create feelings that cannot be adequately expressed by normal prose writings. Poets, however, can express these feelings more efficiently so that the readers can have the same feelings the poet had. Rivers of Stars by William K. Leutz is a collection of around 64 poems that cover the author's interactions, feelings, and thoughts.

As mentioned above, this book has 64 poems. They are categorized into four sections. In this review, I'll only summarize two sections. The first section, Rhythms, has 20 poems. These poems cover a wide range of topics. For instance, the first poem, Cycles, is about a lake. The second section, Myths, contains 14 poems. Although they also cover a range of topics, they are mostly about the author's thoughts and opinions. For instance, there's a poem titled, "Youth's Passage." Here, the poet narrates about youthful experiences and how adulthood changes them.

I liked several things about this book. First, most of the poems were in a narrative form. This made them read like a short story. I particularly liked a poem titled, "Walking with Granddad." In this poem, the author used imagery to bring everything into context. Reading it brought back memories from my childhood. Second, most of the poems were straightforward. For example, the second poem narrates about the beach where the persona's entire family used to visit until they started staying there. The vocabulary is simple, and the storyline is very entertaining. Third, I liked that, through this book, the author has kept the memory of his sister, Barbara, alive. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

Although this is a brilliant book, there are a few things I didn't like about it. First, I don't understand how the poems were categorized. For example, at first, I thought the first category, Rhythms, contains rhythmic poems. I was disappointed when I found out that some of these poems don't have rhythms at all. This will not only confuse but also disappoint most readers. Second, some poems were very hard to comprehend. Even after reading them more than thrice, I still couldn't understand them. For example, I couldn't understand the poem titled, "Beyond the Fields We Know."

In conclusion, this was a brilliant book with several poems covering a wide range of topics. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because I didn't understand some of the poems. Since most of the poems were about nature, I recommend this book to anyone who loves poems on this topic. Those who like well-structured books might not enjoy it.

River of Stars
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think this will make a good read for me. I am a lover of poetry and this may be the right one for me. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like a lovely book to read and think about life and the world around us. I imagine it could bring quite the nostalgia wave.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Great review! I totally admire the art of poetry. Although some poems that are hard to comprehend might seem pretentious, but I like some cryptic poems that get me thinking.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

This book has a lovely name. I would have probably picked it up as soon as I saw it in a bookstore because of its name and cover alone. I like reading poetry. I think poems are very subjective and everyone interprets in their own ways. I think it's okay even if some of them don't make sense to me. I'll like to check this book out. Thanks for your review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love poetry. A pity that some of the poems are incomprehensible. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

I am always keen on perusing the collection of poetry. This one suits me, and I’ll surely enjoy reading its symbolic lines.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”