Review of Uncommon Poems Common People

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Ware
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-ware.html
Latest Review: Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser)

Review of Uncommon Poems Common People

Post by Natalie Ware »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Uncommon Poems Common People" by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uncommon Poems Common People is a collection of poems written by Terry Kruser. They speak of universal human experiences such as love, grief, despair, and loneliness; most of the poems portray these quite exceptionally, through the use of metaphors and language choice. Some of the poems very much focus on love, particularly in the romantic sense, and I found a few sort of cheesy. They were not, however, unbearable, and I still greatly enjoyed reading them. Other poems went a little bit deeper into topics like loss and self-loathing; while these topics can be heavy and often overwhelming, I found that the author did a nice job of making them seem simple and not so weighted while also being meaningful.

As far as style goes the poems vary quite nicely, which seemed to help in keeping me fully engaged as I read. Some of them rhyme, others don’t, some use a lot of metaphors, others utilize more simple sentences. For the most part they are all less than a page long. In reading this book I also found the meter and rhythm of the writing to be quite smooth, and often could not stop reading because it flowed so well. It doesn’t take too long to read the entire book both because of this flow and because it only has 122 pages, most of which are only about a third covered in words.

The imagery in the poems was incredibly striking. So many of them seemed simple, yet they were extremely impactful and I truly felt the emotions as I read. Reading the poems in the order they were printed was a great way to see what they were all about, but with this book it would be just as wonderful to flip through and find specific pieces to fit your current mood and situation; this book has that power. There is nothing inappropriate about this book, however as previously mentioned the topics depicted can be fairly heavy for some people. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . Whether you want words for your feelings, something to cry with, or simply something to read on a bench at a park on a day that’s just the right temperature, this book can fulfill it all, I think. The content itself was very much worth my time, as well as being professionally edited and easy to follow while not being too remediary.

Uncommon Poems Common People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”