Review of Tears of rain in the pandemic and a physician

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Tears of rain in the pandemic and a physician

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tears of rain in the pandemic and a physician" by Zeenat Chowdhury-Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this book, the author uses the power of poetry to write about the emotions she felt during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. As a frontline caregiver during the pandemic, Zeenat was weakened both physically and emotionally, but she found writing as a means to cope with the challenges she faced. She had to contend with feelings of grief and sorrow daily. But beyond that, she also used these poems to talk about her inner strength and show how she survived and succeeded in this period of her life against all odds. This book is full of experiences from Zeenat's life—presented in the form of poetry—that we can all learn from.

Tears of Rain in the Pandemic and a Physician is a collection of poems written by Zeenat Chowdhury-Jackson, a practicing physician in the USA. The most noticeable thing in the author's writing was how she didn't stick to any conventional rules of writing poetry. Her poems didn't come in stanzas, and they didn't utilize any rhyming scheme. Instead, her writing flowed like prose and felt more like she was simply pouring out her musings on paper. This kind of "unfettered poetry" is becoming more common, and it was a refreshing break away from convention, in my opinion.

Her poems had some interesting titles, my best being "Storage Box 2020." Beyond the intrigue in the title, I liked it because it resonated with me the most. It accurately reflected what I—and many others, I believe—felt like doing at the height of this pandemic: compartmentalize my grief and emotions and lock them away in a box. Although her writing had to do with her personal experiences, the poems were inspiring, and I believe most people will find them relatable. This is because, in one way or the other, we all shared in the grief and disruption caused by COVID-19.

There was a lot to unpack in Zeenat's writing. Poems like "Flowers of Tears in Pandemic," "Every Time You Leave Me," "My Cockatiel," and "Accommodation in COVID" talked about the emotions felt particularly during the experience of death and the pain of bereavement. "Inner Look" highlighted her resolve to make it through the pandemic period. The author also infused spirituality when discussing heaven in "The Pirate Goes to Heaven without a Smartphone" and "Prayer for the Password in Pandemic." This gave me a peek into her beliefs and how they served as an anchor and helped create meaning and order out of the chaos she encountered daily.

Zeenat's writing compelled me to reevaluate how I was living my life. It made me reflect on how I wasn't spending enough time with friends and family, especially older relatives who are more susceptible to the virus. In general, this collection of poems reminded me to appreciate and make the most of the time I have left, however long or short that may be.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. It was exceptionally well edited; I didn't find any grammatical problems. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of free-flowing, easy-to-read poetry and anyone who has been affected by COVID-19 in any way.

Tears of rain in the pandemic and a physician
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I love poetries, which are not bounded in rhymes. The raw emotions flows smoothly on paper. I would love to read this book. Thank you for the wonderful review!
🌻🌼
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

The thing I fancy most about this piece is that it's so current. I'm sure there must have been some raw emotions in there. Nice job on the review!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I'm not a big fan of poetry, but it's slowly growing on me. I admire the unconventional style and vulnerability in the author's writing. It sounds like it packs a punch in the emotion department. Thanks for your lovely review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It will be interesting reading other's people thoughts and emotions regarding the pandemic, especially if beautifully written. Thank you for the great review!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

This book reminds me a little of a book I just finished called "Covid 19 Meet My God." Reading such works fascinates me because it allows me to find solace and develop wisdom in dealing with the difficult times we are experiencing as a result of the pandemic.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I love to read about people's experience. I also like the form of the poem. It's a nice one. Great review.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I was drawn to the title as it's so relevant. We are still not out of the pandemic and our healthcare workers have done so well throughout this time in history. Reading poems by someone at the forefront of the covid ward will be inspiring.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”