Review of Uncommon Poems Common People

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laurie Bridgens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurie-bridgens.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Laurie Bridgens »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Uncommon Poems Common People" by T.D. Kruser (Terry Kruser).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

By Laurie>> 31/08/2021
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D Kruser]

Uncommon Poems Common People by T.D. Kruser is a collection of his poems written throughout his life, rather than it being a collection of disconnected poems, each poem flows into the next leaving the reader feeling more as though they are reading a connected narrative as opposed to a book of separate poems. I found it particularly clever and unique that the author posted an afterword rather than a foreword to explain what his interpretation of his own work was, this allowed the reader to formulate their own thoughts and interpretations of the poetry without the preconceived knowledge of what the author meant by each poem.

The positive aspects of this book I cannot praise highly enough, the entire read was not only compelling, but the content of the poetry was both heart wrenching and relatable. The first poem in the collection, The Edge, was one of the most beautiful pieces of work I have ever read, the reason for this being that I, as the reader, was left amazed at the way in which in the poem incorporated both intense feeling of joy and sadness. The narrative nature of the poetry collection fitted in very well with the type of poetry that was written, as the reader progresses through the book the connections become clearer, leaving the reader astounded at the genius of the authors way of setting out the book.

I personally did not really find any negative aspects to this book, but if pressed for one I would say that occasionally it was difficult to determine when one poem had ended and the next begun. This was truly the only negative aspect of the book I could find.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars due to the fact that it was a well written and interesting collection of poems, oftentimes poetry books are difficult to read in one go due to the disconnect between the poems or the lengthy nature of the poems, this book managed to be in a form of a narrative nature, leaving the reader wanting to continue on to the next poem as though it were the next chapter of the book. The above reasons are why I have rated this book a 4 out of 4 stars, it is because it deserves no less.

My recommendation for this book with regards to a target audience would to anyone really going through something in their life, be it difficult friendships, failed relationships, or even feelings of loneliness. The book goes through certain phases of finding love and having it fail and the feelings that are associated with this new feeling found only in young adulthood, so if I had to recommend an age range for a target audience, I would say it would appeal to younger adults. I also would recommend the older generation reading it as I believe the reflections on their past youth and the feelings, they went through would be an incredibly nostalgic moment for them.

Uncommon Poems Common People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”