Review of Emotionally Driven

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Review of Emotionally Driven

Post by Praise George-kayode »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emotionally Driven" by Samuel McCaster.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The eyes are said to be windows to the soul, but poets deviate from this norm. They mold their words into a mirror that accurately creates a visual image of their travails, feelings, and experiences. Emotionally Driven by Samuel McCaster is a collection of such poems. The readers can cull from the book the trajectory of the author's life, as he effectively uses his words to communicate his inner thoughts. The book's themes include redemption, regret, loss, addiction, love, lust, racism, spirituality, and depression.

The book consists of one hundred and thirty-three emotionally stimulating poems. It takes the reader on the journey of the author's depression, affections, addictions, incarceration, and redemption. McCaster, having been raised in a home devoid of a father figure, a hole opens up in him that hunger for validation from others. He internalizes the inadequacies of his father and works hard to prove himself worthy through various means. All of these contributed to his slow but steady journey towards rehabilitation and spiritual redemption.

The language used in the book was straightforward. The reader can deduce that the author bared his inner reflections. He expresses himself simply and succinctly. Samuel McCaster's writing style makes one feel comfortable and trusted. The varieties of poems he wrote put different feelings at your disposal, which keeps you engrossed. One of the anthologies ("Love's Temperature, Insatiable You and Loving Her Aroma were mine"), although lengthy, had poems that appealed enough to become my favorite.

The unsteady flow of the poems was something that didn't sit well with me. The author's none use of commas, full stops, and other forms of punctuation affected the way the lines were read and understood. It was hard to decipher where there was a slight pause or where a complete thought stopped. I noticed errors in the book, but it didn't affect my reading comprehension. Also, in his writing style, the author contradicted a lot of rules that come with English writing.

The book contains religious content, non-explicit sexual scenes, and descriptions of violence. I, therefore, recommended this book to an adult audience who are Christians and enjoy reading poetry. Emotionally Driven by Samuel McCaster is an excellent book to read, as it has a lot to offer. Despite the errors and writing flow, the book expresses various emotions and teaches different lessons. For these reasons, I am rating Emotionally Driven by Samuel McCaster 3 out of 4 stars.

Emotionally Driven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I like books that contain poems, they express a different kind of emotions that a normal sentence cant. I encourage everyone to have look at the book. You definitely going to find it interesting.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I will love to read the emotionally stimulating poems. The fact that they express the author's inner thoughts is exceptional.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”