Review of Posing for Rodin

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of Posing for Rodin

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Posing for Rodin" by Charles McGrail.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“What if heaven has an unpleasant smell and people you don’t like are there?” That’s one line that stuck with me from this unique collection of short poems. Charles McGrail describes his verses as "random thoughts." Indeed, they talk about the ordinary day: killing time at the mall, babysitting, throwing the garbage, and other humdrum activities. However, when you ruminate on the verses, they all can be profound. I am not surprised that the author chose to reference Rodin, the father of modern sculpture. The artist’s most popular opus, at least for me, is The Thinker. I invite all fans of introspection to read this book: Think away!

Posing for Rodin impressed me. I enjoyed most of the 24 pieces in this collection. There are two that I am still grappling with; I wish the author would give me a clue about “The Blood of Au” and “Smoke Signals.” Many of the poems are just half a page, and most are in free verse. Only one, “Beneath the Lighthouse,” has a clear rhyming scheme. However, they all struck me with their messages, both the obvious and the hidden. Such insightful reflections come with humor and choice words like “liquidity.” The titles are initially cryptic, but by the last line, the reader gets the point. In “Something Worth Shopping For,” the speaker mulls over an appropriate wedding gift: they are considering steak knives, and the reader will surely approve. “Lessons in Liquidity” does not contain financial advice. The narrator describes their experience while bathing their two daughters. The perils of online shopping are presented in "Things I've Done": You never know what you’ll get. The verse I quoted at the beginning comes from “The Sound of One Hand Napping”; I have yet to hear that sound.

It was hard to pick a favorite. Different folks will surely relate to at least one. Hopeless romantics will gush about “Let’s (Song for Melody).” The title piece that discusses “the end of the journey” will get smiles from the elderly. Parents will be tickled with the truths of “That Would Hurt” and “Conversation with a 9 Year Old” where encounters with young kids are portrayed.

After reading the first poem, I was itching to give the book the perfect rating. Alas, the errors in the book stayed my hand! I wanted to chalk them all up to poetic license, but that wouldn’t do. I hope the author clears up those pesky mistakes, which include misplaced apostrophes, misused homophones, and misspellings. Apart from those errors, there was nothing else to complain about. Thus, I grudgingly give the book 3 out of 4 stars, but I strongly recommend it to all thoughtful adults. One does not need to be a fan of poetry to enjoy it. One only needs to be a fan of life.

The cover mirrors the casualness of the pieces. The author is pictured having a lazy day in the garden with his fluffy dog at his feet. The reader may very well read the book in such a setting. The book needs thirty minutes to read and a lifetime to ponder.

Posing for Rodin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

I love such poems. That's how I fell in love with one-liners. They are less than a second read but a lifetime to ponder. I really want to read this book. Thank you for your wonderful review and your efforts.🌻🌼
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Priya_Singh wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 14:11 I love such poems. That's how I fell in love with one-liners. They are less than a second read but a lifetime to ponder. I really want to read this book. Thank you for your wonderful review and your efforts.🌻🌼
Thank you for dropping by with flowers. I adore sunflowers! I wish the book could be BOTD so many can get a taste of its wisdom.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

What if heaven has an unpleasant smell and people you don’t like are there?” this is thought-provoking. I wish to read this poem. Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Omega_01 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 06:45 What if heaven has an unpleasant smell and people you don’t like are there?” this is thought-provoking. I wish to read this poem. Thanks for the review.
Indeed! There are many more interesting lines in the book.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

"One needs to be a fan of life." This line just touched my heart. I'm definitely going to read this book whenever I get the chance. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation and great review.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Miriam Molina wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 14:49
Priya_Singh wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 14:11 I love such poems. That's how I fell in love with one-liners. They are less than a second read but a lifetime to ponder. I really want to read this book. Thank you for your wonderful review and your efforts.🌻🌼
Thank you for dropping by with flowers. I adore sunflowers! I wish the book could be BOTD so many can get a taste of its wisdom.
If it will be BOTD, I need to win anyhow. I love flowers to. Here's more for you🌻🌻🌻🌻
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:04 "One needs to be a fan of life." This line just touched my heart. I'm definitely going to read this book whenever I get the chance. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation and great review.
Thank you for your sweet words. Life, despite its troubles, is beautiful.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems wonderful. Although I don't generally read poetry, your review made me want to pick one up. I can't stop thinking about steak knives as wedding gifts. I mean they can use it to cut that tension up when he/she presents the gift :lol: :lol2: Thanks for the fascinating review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 17:07 This book seems wonderful. Although I don't generally read poetry, your review made me want to pick one up. I can't stop thinking about steak knives as wedding gifts. I mean they can use it to cut that tension up when he/she presents the gift :lol: :lol2: Thanks for the fascinating review.
"Something Worth Shopping For" was the first poem. When you read it, you'll know that the knives are most appropriate. 👍 😉
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I'm a big fan of poems. Difinitely read this one. Writing an honest review is hard but you still did it.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Unosthetic wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 02:18 I'm a big fan of poems. Difinitely read this one. Writing an honest review is hard but you still did it.
I bet you will like this collection. Thanks for the visit.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I love this kind of poems. If the line you quoted is something to go by, they will be fun to read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

C Janet wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 08:14 I love this kind of poems. If the line you quoted is something to go by, they will be fun to read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
I do hope you get to experience the poems. Thanks for dropping by.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Such varied topics covered in a single book, I would love to read this, Thanks for a compelling review:)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”